CA Destination Host Access - Read Only

R Morgan
Advisor

CA Destination Host Access - Read Only

Environment on both ends:
Command View EVA V8.00.02 Build 080909
EVA 6000 SR1142xc3p-6200
Asynchronous mode

I only see two options for changing destination host access of a DR group: 'None' and 'Inquiry Only'. What configuration changes need to be made for a 'Read Only' option to be made available. I'm looking through the CV docs, but I do not see a clear description of a scenario where the 'Read Only' option would not be available. I'm obviously misunderstanding or missing something.

Any help will be appreciated.
Robert

5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: CA Destination Host Access - Read Only

I've done some browsing in the most recent and some older implementation/planning/administrator guides.

None did contain the string "inq"uire and only some mention of "read only".

Well, for me, it makes not sense to present an active replication destination virtual disk to a server, even if readonly. Some filesystems cannot be mounted in read-only mode. Another problem is that the data is constantly changed, but the second server does not expect any changes to the disk not made by itself. That's why one takes a SNAPSHOT of the data.

My guess is that the document writers are simply confusing the "inquire-only" setting - which provides a non-read/writeable SCSI LUN, similar to an active/passive array - with "read only".
R Morgan
Advisor

I guess I'm just a little confused with the procedure for suspending replication and presenting a vdisk as readonly from a DR group. I do not have BusinessCopy or any snapshoting capability.

Am I required to 'failover' the DR group just to effectively test the viability of the destination vdisk?

Robert
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by 'viability'?
You're not trusting the replication and want to verify the file system, for example?
R Morgan
Advisor

Exactly. I tested it by using the DR group failover, but I just want to make sure there isn't a faster way to present the destination side vdisk as readonly with only a suspend on the source side.

Robert
Dja_1
Frequent Advisor

I am interested in any further you might have got with this. We have a pair of 4400s running several DRGs over FCIP between data centres. The arrays have presented a range of issues over the 6 or so months that they have been in production mostly around DRGs. Both are now at 09522000. I have an open case with HP right now about some DRG issues and wanted to clear a few unknowns this weekend. I recreated the only 2 DRGs that were created prior to the 09522000 upgrade. I deleted the DRGs, deleted the destination vDisks and recreated the DRGs as Async, and RO at destination. By the completion of the DRG creation the following day, one of the groups destination vDisk had changed to host access as "none" with the only other option as "inquiry only". The other DRG was as expected with "read only". I came across this thread when looking for some clues.