1753272 Members
4965 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CV EVA on VMWare Perfmon Sees only 1 controller

Jesse Kujawa

CV EVA on VMWare Perfmon Sees only 1 controller

Hello.

We have CV 9.2 installed on a vm host and it seems to be working fine. When I use the perfmon tools to monitor the controllers, I only see one controller displayed. The HBA config in VMWare sees all four paths. Anyone know how I can monitor both controllers in perfmon?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Jesse Kujawa

Re: CV EVA on VMWare Perfmon Sees only 1 controller

i should have mentioned the EVA is a 4400 with 6 shelves and we are running VMWare ESX 4.0
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

From what I have seen, CV-EVA and EVAperf use the EVA's array controller devices at LUN address 0 to talk with the controllers. The problem is that the VMkernel does multipathing on that devices, too!
(try 'esxcfg-mpath -l')

So the only way to have *full* functionality is to still use a plain Windows server for CV-EVA and EVAperf.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Had to consult the compatibility reference today and found these comments:

16) VMware 4.0 on HP Command View EVA (on a VMware virtual machine) is not supported in HBA passthrough mode. [does not apply in his thread, but wanted to mention it anyway]

17) HP Command View EVAPerf is not supported with VMware.

18) VMware support for HP Command View EVA installation requires XCS 09534000 or later. Before installing HP Command View EVA on a VMware virtual machine, upgrade the EVAs (EVA4400, EVA6400/8400) to XCS 09534000 or later. Arrays that do not support this controller software version, including EVA3000/5000, EVA4000/6000/8000, and EVA4100/6100/8100, should only be managed through HP Command View EVA installed on a physical management server.