1753492 Members
4848 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can EVA4400 change Vriad type online

Sansoen Chumphunut
Frequent Contributor

Can EVA4400 change Vriad type online

Can EVA4400 change Vriad type online ? If we want to change Vraid type but no need for stop controller or unpresent.
2 REPLIES 2
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

No.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

In no case do you need to stop the controllers, but in every case you need to unpresent. Anything accessing the disk would need to stop, files would need to be closed, flushed to disk, etc.

Using the host: Create a second vdisk with the desired vraid, present to host. Stop apps writing to first, have host copy from first to second, unpresent both, present second in place of first. Restart apps. Downtime depends on the size of the vdisks, file allocation percentage, how busy the host is, how fast the host can copy.

Using the EVA (*requires* Business Copy license): Create a MirrorClone of the original with the desired vraid, wait for the MirrorClone to finish normalization. Stop apps writing to first, unpresent the original, fracture and detach the MirrorClone, present MirrorClone in place of first. Restart apps. Downtime depends on how long it takes to stop the apps, flush the disks, then unpresent, fracture, detach, re-present and finally restart apps. Presumably less downtime than while waiting for the host to copy disks.

------
Don't forget to rate the usefulness/quality of *all* responses to (not just this but *all* of) your question(s).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo