7014 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can you reduce Disk group to safely remove disks

TimInColdLake
Occasional Contributor

Can you reduce Disk group to safely remove disks

Hi

I have a unique problem. We have run out of spare hard drives and the warranty on all of the drives has expired with no money to get more at the moment.  

This is on a EVA8100. I have two disk groups with several hundred GB of space still available. Is there any way to reduce the size of a disk group so you can remove a HDD and keep it as a spare? I an pretty sure the answer will be no, but I have to check anyways.

Cheers

Tim
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can ungroup and remove them.

But I would keep them all inside.

As long as you have enough space, you can remove them once a disk has failed.

If such disk was online for months or even years, power them down and put it on a shelf could kill the disk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You don't need to keep spare disks as the disk group in the EVA will work as long as it has free space.

Check if you have protection level single means that you have disk space of two disks reduced from the total disk group capacity and double means four disks. It is best to have all your disks installed and working because if you keep a disk as spare it might not work when you need it and this way you have all disks working and only your free space reduces when a disk fails. Also you can consider joining the two disk groups into one for better efficiency.

Regards

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor