3725 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cascading SAN Switches Brocade 3000B

hassank88
Occasional Advisor

Cascading SAN Switches Brocade 3000B

Hello,

we have two Active/Active sites with distance about 150m.

on each site, we have HP 3PAR 8400 (Two Nodes) with Two SAN switches Brocade 3000B.

We are planing to configure the Peer Persistence features between those Two 3PAR.

For that we have to Cascade the SAN switches (Total of 4 switches: Two in each site).

We need help on how to configure the Cascading between switches, we need to know about WWN Zonning (will be one zonning from one switch or 4 times applied on each switch) and we need information about the connectivity between switches.

We appreciate your help,

Thanks,

Regards

Hassan Al Kak 

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Each 8400 is connected to two SAN switches. Let's call them "Fabric A" and "Fabric B". Since you have two sites, you have two "Fabric A" switches and two "Fabric B" switches. The two "Fabric A" switches join to become a single site-spanning "Fabric A", and the two "Fabric B" switches join to become a single site-spanning "Fabric B".
There is NO connection between the "Fabric A" switches and the "Fabric B" switches.

Zoning is a fabric function. You do your PWWN zoning twice; once on one of the "Fabric A" switches and once on one of the "Fabric B" switches.

Read the HPE SAN Design Reference Guide (aka "SAN Design Guide") at https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/SPOCK/Pages/spock2Html.aspx?htmlFile=dg_san_design.html

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> Zoning is a fabric function.

If the switch supports Smart SAN, you can do the zoning from the array.

hassank88
Occasional Advisor

Hello Sheldon Smith,

Thanks for your reply,

As per my understanding, from each site (3PAR Storage +Hosts) we have to prepare physical connectivity (FC) to second site. And on each Fabric, what about the connectivity between two SAN switches.

And also with this design, each host should have 4 FC HBA as minimum.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance,

Hassan Al Kak

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

You have two sites, X and Y. You have two switches at each site, A and B. Four switches: X-A, X-B, Y-A, Y-B.

Switches X-A and Y-A have one or more inter-switch links (ISL). Switches Y-A and Y-B have one or more ISL. There is a maximum round-trip limit of 5 milliseconds for a switch message to go from one site to the other and back.

There is NO connection from any A switch to any B switch.

One 8400 is connected to local switches X-A and X-B. The other is connected to local switches Y-A and Y-B. HPE 3PAR Remote Copy is then configured between the two 8400 systems.

For redundancy, a host would need two HBA ports, with physical connections to the local A switch and the local B switch.

I recommend you contact Hewlett Packard Enterprise for in-depth analysis and consulting on your environment and to provide assistance with getting Peer Persistence set up between your two sites.

Best Regards

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

hassank88
Occasional Advisor

Dear Sheldon,

Thanks for your support, now it is clear.

Regards,

Hassan Al kak