108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing the path name

Eblyn Solis
Honored Contributor

Changing the path name

Hi,
I want to change the device path for my USB tape drive in my WindosXP SP2:
(this name I get from Data Protector software)
actully the id name or id path is:
\\.\tape0
I want to change for:
\\.\tape0C

someone can give me step how to change or where can I go in order to change this name.

Regards
Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
8 REPLIES 8
shIVinator.
Valued Contributor

I have never done this before, so this is just a shot in the dark here, but what I would try is to search the registry for tape0 and if you find the key change it there.
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

May I know, what exactly you want to do?
Windows XP + Dataprotector + tape0.... Its confusing me.

Rgds,
Sreekanth
Eblyn Solis
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Thanks for your replay,

Sreekanth, all of them, the problem here is my USB tape drive is identify by windows with that name :\\.\tape0
I need to change the name with C to the end:
\\.\tape0C
because if Data Protector see the C at the end will active the compression, actually the compression in this tape drive doesn't work.

The problem involve Windows and DP, the tape drive is out to the problem , the tape drive work fine, also I install right drive for HP usb tape drive (HPUSBSMC), the last vercion,
Maybe if I modify someting in regedit can make the trick.(but I don't know what!).

Regards.

Eblyn Solis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Any ideas?

Regards
Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

What is the model on the tape drive? Does it support hardware compression, or is this something you are trying to enable in the software?
Eblyn Solis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is DAT 160 USB, this tape drive don't do at compression with Data Protector ,I check compression with LTT and worked fine, the problem is I need the hardwarepath said C to the end.
I need changed someting in regedit in order to DP see with the C.

Regards.
Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

There isn't a C option in the drop down device selection box?

To enable software compression, see here, page 52. (Not recommended) http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-3836ENW.pdf

And for Hardware compression, select the tape devices in the pull down box in dataprotector manager and see if the C device is listed.
Eblyn Solis
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian

There isn't a C option in the drop down device selection box?

No, doesn't show the C option

"And for Hardware compression, select the tape devices in the pull down box in dataprotector manager and see if the C device is listed".

Don't show the option, the problem is the tape drive should show it , but It dosn't.

only show the option \\.\tape0, for that reason I want to changed the HWpath with the C to the end.
Also , HP replace the complete tape drive and same problem.
If I add the C to the end , the DP active the compression option but when run backup DP doesn't find the path and discovery the new path o real path without C

Thanks