1748080 Members
5076 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command View 9.2, Can't manage EVA's

hernan NJ
Occasional Advisor

Command View 9.2, Can't manage EVA's

We just rebuilt a one of our management servers (HP, Windows 2003 Server STD) in order to perform a clean install of Command View 9.2. Installation succeeded without issue.

Before the migration to 9.2, this server had CV 9.1, and could see and/or manage each EVA it was zoned to. Hence, the expectation was that AFTER the rebuild and install of CV 9.2, we could then again manage or "see" the same EVA's. Logical assumption?

Wrong.

Now, we can only see/manage 3 EVA. We are zoned to 8 in total (mind you, we never manage all 8 at once). The other 5 show up in the tree only by WWN. Any attempts to take control or manage these fails with:

"Status code: 12003: Unable to process command at this time. Retry the command or check all connections."

Oddly enough, when one of the WWN's is highlighted in the tree, CV 9.2 indicates that the server we are on is actively managing this EVA (obviously NOT!!).

We have tried rebooting and restarting services, and checked zoning (nothing changed).

Anyone else experience this with a Command View 9.2 install?
Are we there yet?
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Logical assumption?

Absolutely. I did this many times and always successful.
Do the other EVAs met the minimum firmware requirements?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
hernan NJ
Occasional Advisor

We spent the past year upgrading the XCS code on all of our EVA. As of today, all of our EVA are running the latest versions (majority are at XCS 6.220) for their respective models.

Again, hardware and zoning wise, nothing changed. Only the version of Command View changed, to 9.2.
Are we there yet?
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

I was just wondering if you had managed all 8 EVAs from that server. There is a memory requirement if you manage more than a couple. Please have a look at page 7.
hernan NJ
Occasional Advisor

FROM ORIGINAL POST:

"We are zoned to 8 in total (mind you, we never manage all 8 at once)"

Reasoning is we have multiple EVA management servers as backups to each other, at multiple sites. So to answer your question directly, NO, we never, ever, manage more than 4 at one time and even that is rare.
Are we there yet?
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

How much memory do you have in that server? If you only have a couple of MB, and you have some spare memory lying around I would add it and see if that makes a difference. Normally 4GB seems to be a good starting place.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Managing 8 EVAs here with CV v9.02.00.000115.

What does
"%CVEVA_HOME_DIR%\cvutil.exe" paths
on the CV server say?
hernan NJ
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for delayed response, working on the issue the past couple of days.

Problem was an incorrect HBA driver. We have updated this to the supported LP9002 driver listed in SPOCK (5.30a), and that resolved the problem.

As I was not directly invloved in the re-build of the EVA management server, I was unaware that a different (latest, but not supported) HBA driver had been installed.

Thanks to all who posted. Much appreciated.
Are we there yet?
Niranjan Das
Occasional Advisor

I have exactly the same issue. I manage two EVAs from the commandview server. No issues until a few weeks ago. I have not upgarded commandview software either. Running V9.1.0
I have not managed one of my EVA for a while. Now when i start browsing to the 2nd EVA it shows up with wwn.
It shows the message below:
"Another management server named UNKNOWN at IP address UNKNOWN may be actively managing storage system .

Only one server is allowed to manage a storage system at a time.

To disable other management servers, simply click the OK button and management will be redirected to this server.

Click the Cancel button to leave this page without changing the management server for this system."

I hit OK, then it shows the following error messsage:
Status code: 12003: Unable to process command at this time. Retry the command or check all connections. "

This is what was posted at the begining.
Now i dont think, i have driver issue at the commandview server as it is still able to see the one EVA.

Could any one expert throw some light here ?

Thx

hernan NJ
Occasional Advisor

"Now i dont think, i have driver issue at the commandview server as it is still able to see the one EVA."

Think? You must know for sure.

Not sure you read my original post clearly. I had this same EXACT problem, server could see 3 out of 8 EVA it was zoned to. Yes, it boggled my mind how an HBA driver could be the culprit here as one would assume that if you were using an unsupported or wrong HBA driver, the server should not see/manage any EVA. But when you assume...

The proof is in the pudding as they say. Please CONFIRM your HBA driver/firmware versions and CHECK those against HP SPOCK. Rectify any differences between what you have installed and what SPOCK states is supported.

Also run any diagnostic tests agains the server HBA and ensure it's physically working properly! Good luck.
Are we there yet?