HPE EVA Storage
1753329 Members
5214 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Command View EVA migrate 6.02 to 8 confusion...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lynne Seamans
Regular Advisor

Command View EVA migrate 6.02 to 8 confusion...

we're running Command View 6.02 on our EVA 4000, and i want to get to something in the 8.0 range.

my HP hardware support person told me a different license is required.

i contacted HP Licensing, and they said to install 7.0, then get the entitlement certificate and turn that into a license on the website. Yeah. Easier said than done.

(1) i know i have to uninstall t6.02, but when i looked in add/remove programs, there's LOTS of items, "HP StorageWorks Command View EVA" and "HP StorageWorks Command View EVA Software Suite", are the two most notable.

(2) I downloaded 7.01 from the web cause i couldn't find a plain 7.0. Is that the same thing? the install wizard called it HP StorageWords Command View EVA Software Suite 7.0.1.17" on the welcome page, then the next page says it doesn't support upgrades (which i knew), but the the following versions have to be installed "HP StorageWords Command View EVA Software Suite 7.0".. So, do i have to find a plain 7.0 before i can do this?

I am just confused and any clarification or hints or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Command View EVA migrate 6.02 to 8 confusion...

Hi,
here you can find the info on the CommandView 7.0 licensing rules:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1303998

Also e.g. EVA controller firmware/Command view compatibility info could be found here

yes you need to convert your paper license to the electronic

and the starting upgrade version is CVE 7.0
and CVE 7.01 is only its patch...

the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I do not agree with HP licensing's sequence !!

- get the certificate *first* and check it
- then turn it into a license
- make a backup of you server so that you can
-- return to CV 6
- then remove CV6
- install CV8 and upgrade to 8.0.2

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=CommandViewEVA

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497&taskId=135
Lynne Seamans
Regular Advisor

Okay, so HP's support is suspect. No surprise there.

BUT let's just assume i want to humour them.

I fully agree that 7.0.1 i have is a patch, however i cannot find plain old 7.0 anywhere.

When you go here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=471497

and select the 7.0 media kit for Windows 2003, only 7.0.1 is there.

is there somewhere else i could download 7.0?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

there seems not to be any external download link, but you can ask your HP local representative to give you the access to the internal download link as a part of your license upgrade process.
the pain is one part of the reality
KathyL1
Valued Contributor

From our experience it seems that HP does not make these new versions available unless you pay for them in some way, eg a service contract. I recently had an issue with one of our old EVAs with a very old licence key and was told by the licencing centre (webware help) that I needed to provide the certificate to prove that we had purchased the upgrade to v7 type licencing. Luckily our HP rep sorted it out for us in the end.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Command View 8.0 CD is available here:
http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=CommandViewEVA

Command view 7.0 CD was sent to customers some time ago, with the licenses converted to the new format. But has been discontinued and quickly replaced by CV 8.0.

You need to convert the licenses to the new format (valid for CV 7 and 8), your sales representative can help you in the process.
Lynne Seamans
Regular Advisor

BRILLIANT! I just looked on my shelf and there it was! 7.0 AND a license Entitlement Certificate.

Thanks so much for hitting me politely with the clue stick!
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

HP needs to be hit (and not so politely) for instigating this runaround. Lets just change things for the heck of it, and make all our customers run through hoops. convert licenses, forcing users to 'check-in' with their vendor, etc... wasting legitimate customers time and money with license . This kind of stuff really irritates me. DON'T CHANGE (LICENSE FORMATS. DON'T CHANGE THINGS THAT ARE ALREADY WORKING. DON'T USE LICENSE KOPS!
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is my understanding that many EVAs were not licensed properly, because the LTUs were not checked and customers bought, or just were sold a bunch of additional disks. Sometimes the LTUs were missing unintentional, sometimes not...

On the other hand I agree that the transition was handled very badly, to say it in a civil manner.