3157 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command View can't see EVA 4400 to initialize storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alexander Simon

Command View can't see EVA 4400 to initialize storage

I want to initialize the storage on an EVA4400. I have installed Command View on the management server and EVA is connected to the management server. I can also see the 4 HSV300 controllers in system management. But when I try and start command view and run discover it can't find any storage on the SAN. It only displays an error message: "No Storage systems are visible to this management server for any of the following reasons: - there may be no systems connected to your SAN; - If there are EVA storage systems connected to your SAN , they may be password-protected. To make your password-protected systems visible to this server, click the options link in the session pane and follow the menus to configure your server's storage system access settings; - Because of network switch configuration, your systems may not be visible to this server. Reconfigure your switch; - One or more systems on your SAN may be running on one controller. Ensure that both controllers in each system are connected and running."

I have checked all of the above and everything is correct. Firmware is up to the latest version XCS09004000, 1.00.00.080916.

EVA4400 with embedded switch but still on default settings and no zoning is used as yet.

The EVA4400 is brand new and hasn't been initialized before.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
Alex
11 REPLIES 11
Dileep..
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Below are some thing which you can try

1)Restart Command View EVA services
2)Reboot both the controllers and do a
discover again
3)Ensure that host port of eva are
configured as fabric
4)CVEVA8 has below command which will help
to check the path communication between CVEVA and eva
cvutil.exe path

5) Still if the issue persists then need to check for the port login status of the EVA and CVEVA server, aslo i would suggest you to do single initiator based zoning.
Alexander Simon

hi Deleep

thanks for your reply.
I have tried your suggestions.
cvutil tells me "0 paths found"
Could i have missed something during setup?
FC HBA drivers are installed and I can even see the controller.

What could I check on the switch to make sure everything is ok?

Thanks,
Alex
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What version of Command View are you running?

If it is V8, then make sure you update it with the 8.0.2 upgrade.

" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497&taskId=135 "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Tung_1
Advisor

Hi Steven, I have same problem, I installed Command View 8.0.2 but nothing change. Do you have any solution ?
Thanks.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Does this apply?

c01637500 - ADVISORY: HP StorageWorks Command View EVA Interoperability Issue with the Emulex 8Gb Adapters

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&&objectID=c01637500
Tung_1
Advisor

Thanks Uwe, after i installed this hotfix, ist ok, thanks alot.
Alexander Simon

Thanks Uwe.

Sorry for the delay but I sorted this out with HP support. Basically the same solution which Uwe already pointed out here before. The 8GB FC HBA which came with the EVA starter Kit was the problem and you need to apply a MS hotfix to address this issue.

Please find HP support answer below.

Affected Products
The following Emulex 8Gb adapters are affected:

81E AJ762A PCI-e 2.0 8Gb

82E AJ763A PCI-e 2.0 8Gb Dual Port

RESOLUTION
If the management server is running Microsoft Windows 2003 and has Emulex 8 Gb/s HBAs installed, HP Command View EVA 8.x might not display any arrays. To resolve this issue, you must install a Microsoft hotfix. Go to the following link for details and the hotfix download:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945119

The title of the issue on the Microsoft site is:

Stop error that is related to the Storport.sys driver on a Windows Server 2003-based computer: 0x000000D1 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This issue only occurs if Emulex 8 Gb/s HBAs (HP part numbers AJ762A and AJ763A) and HP Command View EVA 8.x are installed on the management server. If you are using the server for storage only, not as a management server, you do not need to install this hotfix.

Thanks everyone again!
Alex

Uwe ich habe dir die Punkte trotzdem zugewiesen weil es einfach die richtige Loesung war. Danke nochmals. Gruss Alex

Geir Jarle

Having the exact same issue with QLogic card we didn't really expect the suggested Microsoft fix to work, but it did.
So, KB945119 fix is valid for QLogic cards on Server 2003 R2 SP2.

Thanks.
tnuhl
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Same problem after upgrading EVA5000 from 3028 to 3110 and the above mentioned KB seems to work for Emulex too...