108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command view upgrade question 7 to 8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff La
Occasional Advisor

Command view upgrade question 7 to 8

I am currently running Command View 7.0 and plan to go to version 8 in the near future. I know I will have to uninstall the current version but will I have any trouble getting commnand view to discover the storage again and also will the licensing still be valid or will I have to redo it? Just wondering if the config stuff was kept after the uninstall like it is with some software or if it is just like starting from scratch with a clean system. Any info would be appreciated
Thank you.

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4
Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor
Solution

Jeff,

My experience was that yes, you have to deinstall CV7 and then re-install CV8 but after that everything else remains the same. Make sure you get and install the latest patch, CV v8.0.2.

It will re-discover your EVAs and the licenses should stay (well they did for me anyway).

Malcolm
Timothy Cusson
Valued Contributor

Command View 7 and 8 use the same license. The license gets "installed" into the EVA controllers and is associated with the EVA WWID (World Wide ID). Command View does not contain any EVA configuration information, it simply can read and update the configuration information thats stored on the EVA controllers and disk drive metadata. You could install the new version of Command View on a different SAN attached server for test purpose. When the new Command View starts, it will warn you that only one Command View can manage an EVA, after you accept, click Discover to see the EVA in the new Command View.

The latest version of Command View is 8.10.
Jeff La
Occasional Advisor

So I should be able to uninstall the previous version, reboot, install and have no license issues or any config issues either, correct? I know there is an update after you install version 8, does that get you to 8.1 or is that a totally different seperate install package?
Thanks for replying guys,
Jeff
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There is an update that gets you to 8.0.2

" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497&prodNameId=3664268&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-64828-1 "

8.1 is a totally new package.

As a pre-caution, you might want to export your current licenses incase you need them after installing CV8. You can then just re-apply them or import them incase they do not xfer over.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)