7762 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CommandView lost communications with EVA4400

B Cave
Advisor

CommandView lost communications with EVA4400

Hi,

I have a Bl465 server with a dual port QLogic HBA connected via 2 Brocade interconnect SAN switches to an EVA4400 (dual channel multi path). CommandView has lost communications with the EVA - on logging in, I get an error saying "No storage systems are visible to this management server for any of the following reasons: ". CommandView was previously version 8 and still getting the same error after upgrading to version 9.3. The EVA has no password, and there is no zoning configured.

The communications may have been lost after a Windows update to Windows 2003 server, or during a firewall installation (not in the enclosure). All other servers in the C7000 enclosure have storage that can be seen on the SAN (they are all redhat, and have their root - "/" - on the SAN).

Looking in device manager, I can see 4 x HP StorageWorks EVA HSV300 Storage array controllers, Multipath Support and 2 x QLogic Fibre Channel Adapters. I have tried upgrading the driver for the QLogic from the HP driver site, and still have no luck.

Logging onto the management interface on the brocade switches and can see connections to the 2 controllers in the EVA, and 2 both ports are connected from the 2 HBA ports to the brocade switches in OA.

Any advice on how to get CV to communicate with the EVA via FC? Any additional info needed? I need to communicate in order to upgrade the firmware so that I can use the embedded CV in the new firmware, rather than the server suite.

9 REPLIES 9
B Cave
Advisor

Have just run cvutil to determine paths, and get the following in the SCMI state column:
scsi0:-0-0-0 non-responsive retry unknown
scsi1:-0-1-0 Not Valid
scsi1:-0-0-0 Not Valid
scsi0:-0-1-0 Not Valid

Could it be related to http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/Command-View-can-t-see-EVA-4400-to-initialize-storage/td-p/4338877 - I am trying to request the patch from MS - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945119
B Cave
Advisor

After installing the hotfix, the 4 HSV300 devices disappeared from device manager, and cvutil is not showing any paths.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

CV only speaks with the master controller. Which controller is the master can change so you need to cable/zone in the server with both controllers.

When you upgraded CV to 9.3, did you upgrade it on the management module as well? You need to do that.
Can you now access Command View via the WOCP / management module?

Don't know about the storport.sys but it appears to have made it worse? (rebooted I presume?)

Qlogic also has a software 'SANSurfer' that you can use to further troubleshoot the HBA.

How about drives/firmware on the Qlogic HBA?
B Cave
Advisor

I only upgraded on the server. I can't access via the management module, and am not able to see the storage, only the HBA's. Maybe I should re-install the older version of the qlogic driver?
B Cave
Advisor

The QLogic HBA is dual port, 1 port is connected to 1 switch, other port to the other switch and there is 1 port on each switch connected to each EVA controller (redundant pathing).

I don't see anything with SANSurfer - no HBA controllers when I run it, connecting to localhost.

I have just reverted to the old version of the driver and am rebooting. I have not updated the firmware on the HBA.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The management module is good to have when troubleshooting because it's accessed via ethernet.
B Cave
Advisor

Can't upgrade the management module until I can communicate with it :)
B Cave
Advisor

uninstalled hotfix and reinstalled older version of the driver. Controller is still not visible :(
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Does SANsurfer still not see the HBA? If so you still have some problem on the server. Portdisable;portenable on the SAN-switch might be good. Reboot? =)

The management module has an IP-address. You don't necessarily need an FC HBA to be able to manage the EVA4400.