108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure MSA1500 - with 3rd party server

SOLVED
Go to solution
T. Jalas

Configure MSA1500 - with 3rd party server

Hello,

we┬┤re using our MSA1500 for a branch office now. Unfortunately the servers over there are Dell PowerEdge servers.

We installed VMware ESXi on these servers - and now I have to manage the MSA using these machines.

As far as I know there┬┤s no supported way of runnung an ACU or an ACU CLI online on the VMware machines.

So I decided to download the latest MSA support CD and do an offline management - will say: booting one of the Dell servers (attached to the MSA through FC) with that CD for doing the array configuration for example.

I downloaded this CD: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=415598&prodNameId=415600&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-70653-1
but it refuses to boot the server. It sttes that the server is not supported hardware.

So please: let me know how to manage a MSA using a 3rd party server.

Best regards,
Thorsten
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Use the CLI (command line interface) available through the serial maintenance port (19200N1) which is located at the front of the controller module.
kunalsahoo
Valued Contributor

Hi,
although it is not used, to but use if you want....

install Hp proliant support pack on dell server...which is actualy ment for proliant boxes...with few options to omit you would be able to install it.
once it is installed you can use ACU...

try this....
T. Jalas

@Uwe Zessin: Hmmm - I├В┬┤ve already connected that serial cable an I├В┬┤m at least able to access the MSA-Controller from Windows. I hope. I├В┬┤ll find a Terminal-App in ESXi Server.
I hoped, I could configure the MSA a lot more comfortable than using this CLI.

@kunalsahoo: Do you think, this is possible on VMware ESX- oder ESXi-server ? I├В┬┤m afraid you├В┬┤re only talking about windows, don├В┬┤t you ?

Best regards,
Thorsten
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is a PSP for Linux, and there is even a special version of the System Management Homepage (SMH) and the Management Agents in a separate package for monitoring the hardware in an ESX, but the ESXi environment is just to limited. There is a special package for ESXi, too, but as far as I can tell, it provides only basic monitoring for the server hardware.

Maybe you could hack something by mapping the server's serial port to a VM for easy management - as long as that VM is not stored on the MSA ;-)
T. Jalas

Thanks for your answers. So as far as I can see from the answers ther├В┬┤s no _supported_ way for managing the mSA from ESXi Server.

I won├В┬┤t hack any HP agents -
and ESXi provides no access to serial ports - no mapping of physical serial ports to VMs - even no access to serial ports from the service console :-(

Best regards
Thorsten
T. Jalas

will have to provide a windows machine attached to the MSA throug FC-Controller - or at least a Notebook with serial port :-(