108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Confused with MSA1500CS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dionisis Zapantis

Confused with MSA1500CS

Hello

I want to ask some things for an MSA1500cs.
My installation includes 2 HP DL380 G4 servers, 1 MSA1500cs and 5 MSA20.
The servers has windows 2003 standard, veritas cluster server and SQL 2005. One day all the logical drives(5) from the second array became offline, i followed this procedure to recover the logical drives http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=415598&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=415598&objectID=c01204574

After this all logical drives became online and the following message appeared in ACU for logical drive 9 and 10.
"Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on Logical Drive 9 (2.0 TB, RAID 6 (ADG)). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve."

The rebuild progress remains in 0%. From Veritas Storage Foundation i can access only the 5 volumes from the first array, in the second array i can see the volumes but i cannot access them, they don't have drive letter.
I want to know if the problem is in the H/W or S/W and how can i solve this problem.

I'm sending the report from diagnostics tool.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

> it will start when I/O is performed on the drive

Simply implementation details that confuses users again and again. It means that you have to write to the logical disk (e.g. by writing a signature or creating a partition) before the box begins the parity initialization.
Dionisis Zapantis

The partitions have already created and they have written data, but they doesn't have drive letters. If i assign a drive letter to each volume will the initialization process begin? Is there any danger for data loss?
Thank you for your response.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, OK. Then Veritas software must have become confused, too.
I think it is safe to assign a drive letter. When Veritas starts access to the file system it will certainly do write operation which will trigger the MSA parity rebuild.
Dionisis Zapantis

The problem solved, 1 week after the initialization process finished and the cluster works fine.

Thank you for your help.