6464 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connect W2k8 to EVA 8000 multi HBA

Stefan Mayer

Connect W2k8 to EVA 8000 multi HBA

Hi,
one simple question.

I have installed a W2k8 Standard Server with 2 HBA for Multiplathsupport connectet to a EVA 8000. SAN Switch Zoning are ready configured. On the W2k8 Server i have installed the 2 HBAs and the Multipath I/O Support. In the EVA i conf. the Host with the 2 WWNs of the HBAs and published a VDisk to the new Host.

In the Devicemanager on the Server i can see the 2 HBAs and the Multiptath driver but i miss the EVA Controllers.
Where is the Driver for the EVA Controller?
Or is there a configure problem on the Server side?

Thanks for Help
regards Stefan
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Look in device manager into System Devices. You should have 8 SCSI controller devices there.

If the EVA sees the WWN of the server, and you present a vdisk and MPIO sees it, then the connection is working.
Stefan Mayer

So on W2k8 the EVA Controllers are not displayed in the Storage Controller tab like in W2k3.
Because in W2k3 there are 8 "HP Storage Works EVA 8x00 Storage Aray Controller Device" under the SCSI and Raid Controllers Tab in the Device Manager.

Is this right?!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes in Windows 2003 the controllers appear under "SCSI and RAID controllers".
But I saw this situation on Windows 2008 recently and if I remember correctly the controllers were under "system devices".
Stefan Mayer

Hi, ok looks fine but when i pubish one Vdisk to the W2k8 Server i can see 8 Disk in the W2k8 Disk Manager. What is the solution?
thanks again

Stefan
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You'll see 8 "HSV210 SCSI Disk device", but MPIO should create one "HSV210 Multipath disk device" and that's the one that Windows sees.

I understand from your first post that you have installed MPIO.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

vcespon is right.. The host (W2k8) will see only one disk and the path will be multiple.
So that is one function of Multipath to make sure that you see only one device and multipath to the target.
Stefan Mayer

Thanks to all. Problem fixt!

I have installed the Multipath I/O Driver but i have not configured the MPIO Properties.

Under "Administrative Tools" > "MPIO". The click "Discover Multipath" and add the "MPIO ed Devices" solve the problem.

Thanks for help guys