1748117 Members
3610 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connect to SAN

network101_1
Occasional Contributor

Connect to SAN

I have msa1000 san storage that is already connected to a server with win2000. I am setting up new server with win2003, after I connected cables to the fiber cards, under the device manager, under other devices, I see "Compaq MSA fabric SW 6 SCSI Enclosure Device" with a ? next to it. And I cannot see any of the san drives from the new server. What am I missing here? Please help.
6 REPLIES 6
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello,

If you want to see the already existing LUNs from the new server, then you must add masking for the new server to them (present the LUNs also to the HBAs of the new server).

J.
network101_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply. I have a very little experience on this, and I will appreciate if you can give me a little more details on how "present the LUNs to the HBAs of the new server". Not sure what exactly you mean by that. thanks.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you need to start ACU, the array configuration utility. Create a new logical drive in the free space of the MSA and click on the right side on the button "Selective Storage Presentation". When your zoning is correctly configured you should see one or two entries for your new server. Now you can select the volume that your server should see. After presenting the disks, you need to rescan the disks in the computer management/ disk management.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

all the user manuals for the msa1000 are here :-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751

go through the user and cli guides and check the sections that refer to use of acl's and allocation of storage.

hth

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

First off....

ABSOLUTELY.... POSITIVELY... DO NOT PRESENT ANY LUNS TO THE NEW HOST WHILE THE OLD HOST IS ACCESSING THEM.

YOU CAN AND PROBABLY WILL LOSE SOME OR ALL OF YOUR DATA.

Second, it sounds like you may have a pretty old MSA. You may need to update the firmware.

Third, you probably need the full set of hba drivers on the new server so that the OS knows about your (HP) Storage arrays and loads them correctly in the right place in device manager.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
network101_1
Occasional Contributor

In the Array configuration utility I can see the controller but it is showing that one of them is in standby and the other one shows(failed redundancy path) error message. why the second one is not showing active? any ideas what could be the issue. thanks,