Connecting 2 C7000

SOLVED
Go to solution
sumfknguy

Connecting 2 C7000

We currently have a c7000 in production and recently purchased a new c7000 to place into production. We had an employee who was outsourcing the connectivity of these two chassis's. He has since left our company and the task has been passed down to me. We are planning to keep this inhouse now and handle this ourselves. I'm new to HP Blades and need a little help is finding the correct documentation on how to make this happen. We need to connect both chassis's to each other via some sort of "stackwise" cable if this is even posssible. Can someone point me in the right direction??

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Connecting 2 C7000

Hello,

take a look into this document, page 55:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00714237/c00714237.pdf

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
sumfknguy

I've seen the documentation already that allows the OA connectivity between the two chassis's. What I was looking for was the ability to connect the two for the purpose of allowing the devices between them to utilize the high bandwidth.. I hope this makes sense.. and excuse me if I sound retarded.. lol
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what kind of interconnect modules are in the two C7000 enclosures? Why do you need high bandwidth between them?

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
sumfknguy

looking at the documentation, I don't see any type of interconnecting cable option.. like you would see on a cisco device (stackwise cable)... so if I am reading this correctly, the only way to connect the chassis's is via CAT5?
sumfknguy

Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120X for HP
Cisco MDS 9124e 24-port Fabric Switch, HP c-Class BladeSystem

We run a series of app and sql db servers between the two.. it would be nice to allow the devices to communicate between the two chassis's via local connectivity.

The original plan might have been to use the FC interconnect cards to do this.. I was thinking that maybe the actual chassis itself had a built in feature for linking more chassis's together.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can't use fibre-channel for local network connectivity. If you want high-performance, group blades, that need to talk to each other into one chassis. If you need a fast network link between the chassis, connect the switches with 10 GbE.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
sumfknguy

thanks... in looking through the documentation on the 3120X switch, it seems that the interconnecting was going to be done this way, as you said, via the 10 GBe ports..

I will look into this some more.. thanks!