108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting EVA to EMC SAN switches

toni osta
Frequent Advisor

Connecting EVA to EMC SAN switches

Hi
i have purchased a new EVA6400 and i want to connect it to a new server
i want this server to be connected to the new EVA and in the same time to the existing EMC storage
the Brocade switches of the EMC storage are D-300B
could i connect EVA storage and EMC storage on the same Brocade switches witout any problem ?
Thank you
2 REPLIES 2
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it should be ok if it is correctly zoned:
the HP SAN design guide should help you in this:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

if its not sufficient try to find the similar also for EMC storage on EMC pages...
the pain is one part of the reality
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Toni

Technically it works.
In order to be supported from both parties: EMC and HP your configuration needs to satisfy certain requirements like FW and driver levels.

In the HP SAN Design Guide mentioned by IBalty you will find the following:

Heterogeneous storage system support:

HP supports HP storage products on shared hosts, and HBAs in HP fabric environments that also have third-party storage products. A third-party cooperative support agreement between HP Services and the third party is required if HP will provide a single support point of contact that includes the third-party storage. HP provides technical support for its products and cooperates with the third party's technical support staff, as needed.
HP provides best-practices recommendations for connecting devices in the SAN (see Best practices on page 399). These rules apply to configurations that include HP SAN storage products and heterogeneous third-party SAN storage products:

- Use zones to isolate storage ports from zones for third-party storage systems.

- Overlapping zones with multiple storage ports are not supported.

- Third-party storage zones are governed by product-specific configuration guidelines (see the thirdparty product documentation).

- See Third-party switch support on page 168 for third-party fabric and switch support.

- See Heterogeneous SAN storage system coexistence on page 219 for HP storage system coexistence support.

To check HP supported configuration details see SPOCK on:

http://www.hp.com/storage/spock

BTW: The EMC DS 300B is the Brocade 300 switch. At HP it is called the B-Series 8/24.

Cheers
Pete
I love storage