108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting FC switches for CA

SOLVED
Go to solution
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Connecting FC switches for CA

SAN1-EVA6000 running SR1142xc3p-6200, CV 8.00.02(with CA license) connected to 2 Brocade 4/64 switches running 6.1.0g - fabric A and fabric B. (2 x B4/24 connected for the c7000 blade center in Access Gateway Mode)

SAN2-EVA4400 running CR13BElep-09501100, CV 9.01.00 (with CA license) connected to 2 Brocade 4/24 switches running 6.2.0g. (2 x B4/24 connected for the c7000 blade center in Access Gateway Mode)

We are planning to do CA between SAN1 and SAN2 over a multimode 50/125 fiber between the buildings (~1115ft ~ 340m).

My steps before connecting the 2 sites:

1. Disable switches and change Exchange-Base-Routing to Port-Based-Routing on all 4 of them

2. Change domain ID on the remote side switches
Fabric A:
B4/64 [Domain ID 1] ---- B4/24 [Domain ID 2]
Fabric B:
B4/64 [Domain ID 1] ---- B4/24 [Domain ID 2]

3. Connect the ISL (we'll have 6 of them)

4. Enable all 4 switches

My questions:
A. someone mentioned here that тАЬcorepid parameter should be the sameтАЭ - true or false - where do I find it?

B. do I need to clear the remote switch before step 3? Is this the right combination: -cfgDisable, -cfgClear, -cfgSave?

C. zone both SMS to see both EVAs, any tricks there?

D. given the distance ~340m what speed shoud I get and do I need to lock it for the ISLs?

E. Does the number of ISL need to be a multiple of 4? Is the rule "the lower port number the better" true for ISLs? (better credits?)
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

A: true, it *must* be the same or you will get segmented fabrics/switches.

If you really have to make a change - do it in step 1, because the switch must be offline.

B: The fabrics should merge if there are no zoning conflicts. You can also prepare both switches for a non-conflicting configuration assuming you don't have any port-based zoning as it depends on the Domain-ID.

C: I recommend that you set up your zoning in a way that they case no 'secret path' between both EVAs and add a separate 'replication zone' instead. This allows you to have fine-grained access control and the ability to prevent replication traffic should that ever be necessary for some reason (e.g. firmware upgrade, diagnostics).

D: What is the 'bandwidth/length product' of the fiber?

E: Never heard about that rule. Some switches have 4-port ASICs and can do trunking within those 4-port blocks (nick-named a 'quad').
I think those 'lower port' rule applies to some CISCO switches.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
also the routing setting should not be forgotten for the CA:

A) Advisory (Revised): B-series 4 Gb Fibre
Channel Switch Default Routing Policy Must Be Changed for use with HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Arrays and HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Arrays while using Continuous Access:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=327100&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c00590193

B) HP StorageWorks
B-Series remote replication solution
best practices guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01081582/c01081582.pdf
the pain is one part of the reality
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

A. I checked both and is reads: fabric.ops.mode.pidFormat:1

B. When you say "prepare" what do you mean?

D. 2000 MHz*km

IBaltay,
Thanks for the links.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A: fine.

B: make sure that the zoning configuration is the same before you plug in the first ISL

D: according to the SAN design guide table on page 160 you can run up to 4 GigaBit/sec on up to 380 meters with an OM3 fiber cable.
MLK_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you.