108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting Windows 2008 R2 to EVA4100

SOLVED
Go to solution
MattIT

Connecting Windows 2008 R2 to EVA4100

Hi,

We have an EVA4100 connected to two HSV200 controllers (two host ports per conroller) that each connect to two FC swithces. We have numerous vDisks presented to ESX hosts (each with two HBAs in them.

When it was initially installed the HP engineer zoned all the ports on the FC switch so that we could add to it easily if required, so I believe that zoning is ok.

My question is that I nopw want to connect a Windows 2008 R2 server with one single QLogic HBA (so that I can present the same LUNs to this server for VEEAM backup).

Can anyone tell me what I need to install to successfully connect this server. Obviously it can only have two paths (instead of the four for the ESX hosts) but this should be ok as it is only for backups.

I am confused what software drivers etc should be installed. I have seen HP MPIO DSM, SAN Surfer, scsi and storport drivers etc and am unsure exactly what I need. I want to ensure that I do not connect it incorrectly and cause any performance issues.

Many thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor
Solution

You need HP MPIO DSM for EVA and storport driver for HBA. SAN Surfer is optional for diagnostics etc.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just ensure that latest driver installed for HBA (Storport Driver) and Latest MPIO driver (i hope it is 4.01 for 2008 R2) then it should be suffecient.

But also make sure that Your XCS version/Command View EVA should be latest as you are using Windows 2008 R2.

When creating the host entry in CV make sure that host type "Windows 2008" instead of default "Microsoft Windows"
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Why can it only have two paths? - Only one HBA?

Do you only have ESX hosts before?
Is this your first Windows 2008?

"When it was initially installed the HP engineer zoned all the ports on the FC switch so that we could add to it easily if required, so I believe that zoning is ok."

Does this mean all your hosts/EVA ports are in the same zone? - It would probably be a good idea to put the win2k8 host in its own zone then. To separate the operating systems.

-

To find the EVA/CV version you do this:

On the EVA's first page you will see version: 6220, 6000 or something like that. That is the version number.

For CV version click on the help link in the top corner (next to home/logoff).
MattIT

Thanks for all the reposnses. This is my first post so will have a look at allocating points.

Zygmunt
Thanks - that is what I was thinking but wasn't sure

Sivaramakrishna
Yes, the MPIO that I downloaded was 4.01

Johan
Yes this server only has one HBA (cost reasons)
Yes we only have ESX hosts connected before
With regards to zoning (and my understanding of this is a little patchy) but it looks like there is a zone for each HBA, so each zone has the host port and a port from each controller (if I am reading it right). The HP engineer has set all the ports up like this so the spare should be ready to use.

Our EVA versions is 6220 and the CV is version 9.1
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Cool! Well as long as the wwn of the win2k8 hba is in a zone with the eva controller ports you should be good to go now :-)