4879 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting to SAN switch

jimmy85
Occasional Contributor

Connecting to SAN switch

Hey guys,

First of all I am pretty new to SAN stuff (ie complete n00b but I have been reading). What I am trying to do is connect a win2003 server to the fabric, but I don't know how this is done.

More info:

What I have is a MSA1500 connecting back to 2 HP SAN Switches both are (Brocade Silkworm 220E R000-0C).

2 VMware boxes are then connected to each SAN Switch and can see all LUNS etc.

I have setup a new DL380 win2003 server running 2x Emulex Lightpulse A8002A cards both going back to each SAN switch. I have a green status LED on both the cards and switch showing connectivity.

I want to use this server as a VCB proxy using the latest Veeam 3.0 and backup using FC instead of across the network.

So what do I need to do in order to connect the FC cards to the fabric? I need the WWNN of the port on the SAN switch yes?

If someone could give me a very brief n00b friendly run down that would be great. I am all connected hardware wise, just have no idea how to proceed from there. I have automount off etc, and VCB installed.

Cheers.
4 REPLIES 4
jimmy85
Occasional Contributor

Forgot to mention the obvious problem, I cannot see the attached storage in disk management, I know I cannot browse them etc as the file system is VMFS but the LUNS should still show up in disk management yes?. I have the HBAnywhere software installed but in the fabric view it only shows the 2x HBA cards with there associated WWNS.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Login to the switch and check with #switchshow

You should see the wwn number of the initiator (Host) HBA in th.e switch port you have connected the fc.

If you can see the wwn do a zoning.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Check for MSA CLI Cmds..
jimmy85
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for the info mate.