HPE EVA Storage

Connection between Msa2012fc & two Enclosure C7000

Andrew_2_1

Connection between Msa2012fc & two Enclosure C7000

Hi everybody,
i've a question about the way to connect two blade on different C7000 (through switch Cisco MDS9124) on a storage MSA2012fc.
If i connect the first enclosure to controller A0 and B1 and the second enclosure to controller A1 and B0 and create a vdisk on Msa, the blades are both be able to see this vdisk ( for example in a sql cluster solution: 2 blade on different enclosure and msa in the middle)?
Thanx for helping me!
Best regards,
Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Re: Connection between Msa2012fc & two Enclosure C7000

Hello Andrew,

Connecting A0 & B1 to the first C7000 and A1 & B0 to the second C7000 will give you one path to the Vdisk.

A vdisk owned by Controller A will be visible to 1st C7k thru A0 and 2nd C7k thru A1.

A vdisk owned by Controller B will be visible to 1st C7k thru B1 and 2nd C7k thru B0.

The same volumes should be visible on both the blades.

Make sure that you configure the hostports in loop mode and Interconnect disabled.

I hope thats what you want.

-Thank You
Bharath
Andrew_2_1

Thanx a lot for your response, Bharath!
So (if i understand how Msa works), if a loose connection on port A0 on 1st C7K, vdisk will be visible on port A1 on 2nd C7K but, if controller A totally failed, this vdisk won't be visible by controller B.
Is there a way to configure the 2 enclosure to garantee the full redundancy in this case?
Thanks for your kindness!
Andrew
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Andrew,

Sorry for the late reply.

My understanding is that, when a controller goes down;

The failed controller's port name will be on-line on the other controller.

The Vdisks should be visible thru other controller.

Please test before implementing.

-Thank You
Bharath