4 VIPs - 2 for each cluster

What we want:
2 building with 10Gig links
2 sites - Campus san (Standard cluster)
1 subnet
1 management group
2 clusters 3 sas and 2 sata
2 VIPs - 1 for each cluster

We want to convert the SAN to take advantage of VMware MPIO and Linux dm-multipath. We have been using the SAN for 1 year with VMware and Windows MPIO systems without many problems. We found that Linux and VMware cannot handle multipathing with a router.

Is this possible? I asked HP support and they gave me information, but it only talks about converting standard to multi-site. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Eric
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thread moved from"Storage > HP LeftHand P4000" to "storage>Storage Area Networks(SAN)" -- Moderator
7 REPLIES 7
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Convert Multi-site to Standard cluster

I've not done it, but couldn't you simply decommission all nodes in the second site and then add them to the primary site and create your second cluster?

(Basically wipe everything to do with the second site and start from scratch, add the units in to the current site and create the second cluster? Don't forget to remove the 2 VIP's from the decommissioned secondary site from your initiators.)

eschneid
Occasional Advisor

Is that non-destructive to the SAN data?
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

The primary cluster should continue to hold the data, it just would not replicate with the secondary site.

The data on the secondary site node would be destroyed and would need to be resync'ed once you put together your campus san design.

Now if you had a catastrophic outage at your primary site during the transition, your data would be gone (start looking for the backup tape!).
eschneid
Occasional Advisor

I found the following in the CMC help. Is it that easy?

"Deleting a Site
If you are deleting a site from a Multi-Site cluster, you are either reconfiguring your SAN or recovering from a disaster or other failure.

Deleting a site changes the cluster from a Multi-Site cluster to a standard cluster. If you then remove the storage node(s) assigned to that site, data that resides on the cluster will restripe.
1. Select the Sites node in the navigation window.
2. Select the site in the Details tab, right-click and select Delete
Site.
"
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

It should be.
eschneid
Occasional Advisor

LH support helped us with this task and everything worked fine.
Brad Gabrielse
Occasional Advisor

I am getting ready to do the same thing and want to know what to expect. 8 Nodes in a multi-site cluster. When deleting a "site" does the data that was on that site restripe to the remaining site? In other words - do the NR10 Luns remain NR10.