HPE EVA Storage

Creating a Lun greater than 2TB

Gene Kenny
Regular Advisor

Creating a Lun greater than 2TB

I have 6400 with FW 09501000, using Command View 9.0. I need to create a 3.2TB lun.
When I attempt to create the lun I get an “error capacity specified is unsupported or invalid.”

So it sounds like I need to upgrade to FW 09522000. Is there a current document detailing the on-line upgrade process?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating a Lun greater than 2TB

Gene,

is the disk group in which you try to create the large vdisk of type 'enhanced'? This won't work in a 'basic' disk group.

The upgrade to 09522000 requires a full power cycle of the complete system (controllers & disk drive enclosures) = offline.

If the system is running stable, you might want to wait for 0953000 which should be available soon.
Gene Kenny
Regular Advisor

The disk group is enhanced.

Thanks,
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

What OS is the lun going to be presented to. It may not support single luns larger than 2 TB.

Many Operating Systems have that as a limit.
Gene Kenny
Regular Advisor

We are running 2008. Support say I need to go to 09522000
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Canned response. large vdisk support predates this release.

Here is a cut&paste from:
"HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array release notes (XCS 09500000)"
514022-001__20090223 (February 2009) [1st ed] - c01680641

""Enhancements

XCS 09500000 provides functionality for the following:

* Virtual disk size. Create virtual disks (LUNs) that are larger than 2 TB (maximum of 32 TB). You can only create, present, and delete virtual disks that are 2 TB or greater. You cannot perform replication tasks or extend and shrink virtual disks that are 2 TB or greater.""