New Discussion юеВ

Deploy an MSA2012FC with a Virtual Connect 4Gb FC as a SAN Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
WFPL4E
Advisor

Deploy an MSA2012FC with a Virtual Connect 4Gb FC as a SAN Switch

Hi,

- Is it possible to Deploy an MSA2012FC with a Virtual Connect 4Gb FC as a SAN Switch (part # 409513-B21)?

Description:
- I have a Virtual Connect Ethernet switch (399593-B22) and would like to deploy an MSA 2012FC (aj743a) SAN using the Virtual connect FC 4Gb part # 409513-B21. Would they work together?

I would like to capitalize on the features and benefits of Virtual Connect to make my SAN easier to manage. I do not mind to buy an additional Brocade SAN Switch such as the AJ821A or the AJ822A or even consider another SAN Solution altogether but my point is: What is the best configuration that capitlizes on the Virtual connect with a SAN?

Thks for letting me know

Joe
8 REPLIES 8
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Deploy an MSA2012FC with a Virtual Connect 4Gb FC as a SAN Switch

Hi,

You'll not be able to connect a storagesystem directly to a Virtual Connect FC switch - you'll need an external switch for this, or an FC Switch in the enclosure instead.

A few rules.

1) If considering FC Virtual Connect you always need Ethernet Virtual Connect (since the manager resides on the ethernet modules)
2) If you don't have any external FC switches, don't go for FC Virtual Connect (if you do not intent to buy extra external FC switches)
3) Consider using the Brocade switches instead of the FC Virtual Connect.

Regards,

WFPL4E
Advisor

Thank you Niels for your prompt feedback. I hope you dont mind a little further help so to make sure I make the right decisions:

1- Which SAN Storages systems or Boxes connect directly to the FC Virtual Connect 4Gb?.

2- What is the SAN configuration that connects to the C7000 Enclosure and capitalizes on the Virtual Connect technology?. (Or, What is the best /most suitable SAN that works with a Blade enclosure and a FC Virtual Connect?)

3- Which would you consider to be a smarter / more reliable solution among the flg two:

A- Deploying an External FC Switch plus a FC Virtual Connect in the C7000 to deploy the MSA2012FC, (In which case, may you please recommend one or two candidate external switches?), or

B- Just go with a Brocade 8/24 and connect directly to the MSA 2012FC?

I appreciate your follow-up

Thks

Joe
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hello Joe,

See answers beneath:

1- Which SAN Storages systems or Boxes connect directly to the FC Virtual Connect 4Gb?.

No storage system connects directly to an Virtual Connect FC - this is by design. The Virtual Connect is essentiallay seen as a bridge with NPIV on the Fabric, which means it do need a external switch.

2- What is the SAN configuration that connects to the C7000 Enclosure and capitalizes on the Virtual Connect technology?. (Or, What is the best /most suitable SAN that works with a Blade enclosure and a FC Virtual Connect?)

Bay 1+2 Virtual Connect Ethernet
Bay 3+4 Virtual Connect FC
EXTERNAL -> Brocade/Cisco FC Switch.

3- Which would you consider to be a smarter / more reliable solution among the flg two:

From a cost perspective i would take the "regular" FC Switches. (c-class switches interconnect)

From a Flexibility perspective i would go for the FC Virtual Connect + External Switches.

A- Deploying an External FC Switch plus a FC Virtual Connect in the C7000 to deploy the MSA2012FC, (In which case, may you please recommend one or two candidate external switches?), or

Just use a regular 4/8 or 8/8 b-series switch - also the c-series will work - but i'm a brocade guy, so i prefer b-series :-)

B- Just go with a Brocade 8/24 and connect directly to the MSA 2012FC?

WFPL4E
Advisor

Dear Niels,
I appreciate the help.

Just to confirm my understanding to avoid mistakes:

- Is it OK to use the Virtual connect 1/10Gb Enet as the Ethernet switch when using the Brocade as the SAN Switch?. (HP.COM explains that Virtual connect works best if all devices are Virtual connect!)

- The smallest Brocade Switch Interconnect that can see 16 servers in the C 7000 Enclosure is the 24 port one, right?

- May you please recommend a Brocade part # / model # for an external Switch that has been tested and qualified by HP to work smoothly with the Virtual connect 4Gb FC Switch?

Thanks again for all the great help!

Joe
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hi Joe,

It it okay to use Virtual Connect Ethernet without the FC Virtual Connect.

Of couse the benefits are best when using both... (but not from a cost perspective)

For c-Class switches you can use these models:
4GBit - 12 ports (dynamic ports) AE370A
(with a 12 port upgrade as an option later on)

8GBit - 12 ports (dynamic ports) AJ820A
(also with a 12 port upgrade as an option later on)

For external switches you can use any new switch you buy. e.g. B-Series 4/8 or 8/8 models..

Regards,

Remember to assign points if you find this information useful.

WFPL4E
Advisor

Thank you sir. I will go back and assign points soon.
I am under the impression that the BROCADE AJ 820A cannot work for all 16 servers in a C7000 Enclosure, what I shd be needing to buy is rather the AJ821A which is 24 port. Don't you agree?

Thanks for letting me know

Joe
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Yes - if you need more than 12 active ports from the start you need the 24 port version.

Regards,

WFPL4E
Advisor

Mr. Niels has provided the precise answers that helped me save time and avoid costly mistakes.

Thks

Joe