HPE EVA Storage

Directly connecting MSA1000 to server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
JoyBag_1
Frequent Advisor

Directly connecting MSA1000 to server.

Good Morning,

We currently have a need to Temporarily assign some extra storage capacity to a SAN attached Windows 2003 server. Unfortunately the SAN in question does not have the capacity we need at the moment.

We have an MSA1000 which we want to use a tempory storage, but we have not spare fibre in the back of the server.

the Server is currently dual attached to the EVA. What would be the consequences of removing one of these fibre cables and replacing it with a direct connection to the MSA so that we have one connection to the EVA and one to the MSA.

I this possible?

It's a test server so we don't mind losing redunacy for the duration, we just want a quick solution.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Directly connecting MSA1000 to server.

Yes, you can remove one or two paths from the EVA and use them to connect to a MSA.

What EVA model it is, and what firmware does the MSA have? I ask because you may need different multipath softwares loaded on the server.

But in a Windows server, I see no problem in connecting the MSA, and let the server see volumes in it.
JoyBag_1
Frequent Advisor

vcespon, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what firmware we have on the MSA, I haven't got that far yet.I just wanted a second opinion on whether its worth trying.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.
JoyBag_1
Frequent Advisor

Sorry forgot to mention, It was an EVA8000.

Have done as suggested and it worked without problem. Very easy infact.

thanks,
Richard