1753511 Members
5369 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Group Corruption on EVA4400...A hypothetocal situation

Alex Mook
Occasional Contributor

Disk Group Corruption on EVA4400...A hypothetocal situation

I am writing disaster recovery documentation and procedures for my organization. We have an EVA 4400 with two disk enclosures spanning one disk group. I understand what to do with failed disks, controllers, etc. What would happen in the case of a corrupt disk group and the inability to access the disk group and the data on the drives. I regularly run the capture configuration command to get a copy of the EVA configuration. How would one recover from complete disk group failure?

Thanks,
Alex
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You have to re-create the disk group - in most cases it means to re-initialize the whole EVA. And run the captured EVA configuration script.

I always remind customers to capture the current configuration after *every* change to an EVA. It can be scripted easily and allow a complete recovery of the configuration.

In one case a customer deleted an important virtual disk, but could not remember its characteristics. Well, I had done the configuration some month ago and could not remember either, but I had done a configuration capture ;-)
So we could reconstruct the virtual disk in a simple phone session although he had never used SSSU before.

Of course you stil have to do a data restore (and I guess he had to tell his boss why he had deleted the wrong virtual disk...).
Alex Mook
Occasional Contributor

Do you know of any utilities that will document that EVA 4000 set-up? I have used SAN Visibility tool which documents my Brocade switches but I would like something that can document my lun set-ups.