HPE EVA Storage

Disk Group Deletion on EVA8100

Emad Omar
Regular Advisor

Disk Group Deletion on EVA8100

Hi,

When I tried to delete disk group of more than 18 disk drives on EVA8100 using HP CV 10.2, I got below message:

"If you delete this disk group, both controllers will simultaneously resynchronize in a fast restart, bypassing lengthy hardware diagnostics. Fast restart allows the controllers to complete the resynchronization sequence before the host timeout period elapses and the host becomes aware that the storage system is unavailable. Are you sure to continue?"

MHV_Disk_Group_Deletion.png

Please advise and confirm if this will or not stop all IOs from hosts or cause any disruption???

BR,

Emad

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk Array to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp Forum moderator

4 REPLIES 4
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: Disk Group Deletion on EVA8100

Hi Emad

The answer to your questions is "depends".

A fast resync shouldn't take any longer then 60 seconds.  During this time the controllers will be effectively offline.  Your OS configuration will determine if the fast resync causes an outage or not.

You can amend your OS config to compensate for the delay in host IO in the same way you would if you were upgrading the Controller firmware.  If you can let me know the OS you are running  I'll check the timeout settings

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Emad Omar
Regular Advisor

Hi,

We have here different OS; HP-UX v2 and Windows 2k3/2k8.

Do I need to arrange for a downtime or is there any solution like deleting or removing disk by disk . . . . . etc. ??

Thank you for your reply , , ,

BR,

Emad Omar

StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi Emad

I thought the guide was HP restricted but it turns out it's not so I've attached it for your reference.  Operating systems like Windows require a reg change, this will require a reboot.  Ensure you read the caution note regarding HP-UX before making any changes

Thanks

Michael

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=321347&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01815339&printver=true

shows resync time during an xcs upgrade (longer?). Also annoyingly wrong linebreak :)

resync time depends on load, number of disks and total storage space if I remember correctly.

There is a formula for how to calculate the approximate resync time based on disks/total space.