Disk Group Failure

Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

Disk Group Failure

I have an eva4000 with a diskgroup of 28 disks. One of the disks failed so we replaced it. the data leveling is complete but now we get an error in the disk group with a popup that says: "A hardware failure has occurred in this disk group. The advanced virtualization ...." .
I did the following:
1- restarted the command view service --> same problem
2- restarted the SMA ---> same problem
3- reduced the usage to about 2 TB out of 7 TB (I am running a test environment so I can do that) --> same problem.
4- I ungrouped 3 disks --> same problem.
5- If you go to the redundancy it says that there is a disk that lost some data because one disk was removed ???

well, all my vdisks are running with no problem, i browsed the whole EVA storage but did not find any vraid 0 disk. everything runs normal from the vdisk point of view, but I keep getting this error .

Any idea how to troubleshoot? and I didn't find any significant log in the error log. just that one disk is removed, ....
17 REPLIES 17
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Group Failure

Hi, can you please paste/attach the whole error message about the "hardware failure"?

It should tell you specifically which vdisk has failed.

If you have a test environment, wouldn't you be able to accept the losses? Do you get that option?

Also, which firmware and CV version are you running?
Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

I am running a test environment, this is why i can reduce the storage to 2 TB out of 7 TB. but I cannot wipe out the whole disk group.

I am running CV 6.0 with CR0D63xc3p-6000.

the redundancy error says: "Your storage system contains data that is not protected by disk drive redundancy. Refer to your system documentation or your HP representative before removing disk drives from your system.
Removing a disk drive may cause loss of data because the following conditions exist in your system:

â Data on one or more disk drives is currently unavailable. A disk drive may have been removed from the system.
"

the disk group error is attached.

I am thinking of restarting both controllers one at a time.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

When you look on the disk group in CV - does it say that everything is OK?
Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

It gives a warning and the error message I attached before. It also says that all the vdisks are ok in the disk group (in the vdisk tab).

Can you please send us the Controller Event Log and Configuration Log here ?

I would suggest you to upgrade your CV EVA to latest version,
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=CommandViewEVA9.3

Also please let me know the controller firmware version ?

Is this the latest version as well ?

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

See two posts up Subhajit.

Upgrading to above 6.000 and CV 6.x may not be possible for a test environment (licensing etc..).

But I guess it's very likely that in one of the releases after 6.x there is a fix that relates to this.

As per the error message it seems to be redistribution of data is going on across the drives of the disk group.

If this is a false alert, then it may resolve by upgrading the CV EVA to latest version or by the upgrade of controller firmware.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=T4256-63136

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Hello Johan/Jacky,

I am sorry that I missed it and you are correct that later firmware release have this fix.

Jacky can try with the trial version of CV EVA9.3 as well because this is a test environment.

Is it possible to build up a separate CV EVA server with CV EVA9.3?

Otherwise you can try to reboot the master controller and check.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Jacky: maybe you can provide a screenshot of the disk group page as well?
The configuration log is hard to get out of CV 6 unless you have a script, which I don't have. But maybe somebody with a good tool can help you with looking at the log.
Probably a good idea to do that before attempting to restart the controller.

But, if you would try restart controller, I would suggest you start with the one that is master (you can find which via the OCP - the display in the front of the controller).
On the one that is not master it says 'slave' in the OCP.

Command View only speaks with the master controller.