Distance Between EVA8000 And SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
AZayed
Super Advisor

Distance Between EVA8000 And SAN

Dears,
Good day,

I would like to know the maximum distance between HP EVA8000 and SAN Switch. And the transferee rate.

Thanks a lot.
Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Distance Between EVA8000 And SAN

Hello,

the SFPs in the controller modules are short wave SFPs, so you can reach 500 meters with 1 Gb FC and 300 meters with 2 Gb FC.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
AZayed
Super Advisor

Hi, thanks for reply. Do you mean if I used > 300 meter Fiber Chanel cables I will get 1 GB of speed ??

Thanks a lot.
Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Patrick says,

If you have 2 Gbps switch you can go a distance of 300m and if you have 1 Gbps switch you can go a distance of 500m.

You can use a Long wave SFP and/or extended fabric license to go any distance you want.

We have the hosts on one floor and the storage on the other, and had to purchase long wave SFP's to traverse the distance.

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

but the SFPs in the HSV controller are short-wave. You can't change them. If you want to extend the distance, you have to connect the EVA to FC-switches and the hosts to other switches. Between those switches, you can use long-wave SFPs, extended Fabric licenses etc.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can change the SFPs on most (all?) controller modules, but before doing that I would organize a chat with the service organization as I don't beleive that is covered by "standard support".
AZayed
Super Advisor

Thanks a lot.