HPE EVA Storage
1752815 Members
5942 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive Array Physical Drive Status Change

ravish r

Drive Array Physical Drive Status Change

My server is HP Proliant ML 350 G5 and is having 3 disks of 300 GB each , RAID 5 configured.

Am getting below event with evnt id 1216

Drive Array Physical Drive Status Change. The physical drive in Slot 0,
Port 2I Box 1 Bay 2 with serial number " xxxxxx",
has a new status of 4.
(Drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 4=predictiveFailure)
[SNMP TRAP: 3046 in CPQIDA.MIB]

Do I have to replace the disk or is there any other work around.
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

Re: Drive Array Physical Drive Status Change

If it is under warranty log a call with HP and get a replacement drive shipped to you ASAP. As long as you are running RAID 5 on these disk you can just replace the failing drive with the new one from HP and let the system rebuild the data on it.

Basically the internal controller of the drive has detected a number of block failures that have exceeded a certain limit. The drive then reports that it is possible that the drive is failing, giving you the opportunity to have it replaced before it fully fails.
ravish r

Hi Mark

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We are having 5 Proliant ML 350 G5 servers and are facing some or the other issues with the disks on all.Till now 8 disks have been replaced in 3 years.Some times it even generates an event like

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Cissesrv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 24588
Date: 10/12/2010
Time: 10:01:27 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxx
Description:
Sensor number 1 has reported that the internal temperature has exceeded the preset limit. This sensor is located in box 1 which is connected to port 2I of array controller [Embedded]. The array controller may attempt to shut down power to the attached box and/or spin down the installed disk drives

Is there any known issues with these servers??
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

I'm personally not aware of any specific issues that would cause drives to fail in an ML350. But I don't work for HP and can only go off the servers that I have dealt with at various clients over the years which are mainly the DL range rather than the ML range of systems.

I assume you have a clean power feed, the environment is clean and temperatures are reasonably stable. Also you keep firmware and drivers up-to-date.