1753689 Members
5096 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dynamic disks over 2TB windows 2003 and EVA8000

Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Dynamic disks over 2TB windows 2003 and EVA8000

Hi, I have a 2TB LUN presented from an EVA8000 to a Windows 2003 server. I have now presented another 1TN LUN and want to create a 3TN disk.
Can I do this without converting to a GPT disk (will need to erase and reload 2TB of data). Can I convert it to a dynamic disk and do it that way?
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

you should be able to make them dynamic disks and then create a spanned volume with no problem.
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

It advised me that it would need to unmount the volume to convert to dynamic. Not sure how long that would take with 2 TB of data and associated downtime.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

that is normal. you probobly have some files open on that disk so it wants to unmount it to close out all the open files. Do you have any apps using this disk ? sql ? exch ? file sharing ? shut those down and then maybe try it again.
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

Hi Martin,
I though that would be the case but was being over cautious so was considering a full backup before I'd so that. Thankfully our application guy decided it didn't need to be the same volume after all. Just so I just set it up with a new drive letter. So the problem is averted.
Thanks for you help.
Mel Nugent
Regular Advisor

I didn't need it to be the same volume after all. Just so I just set it up with a new drive letter as a workaround