New Discussion юеВ

ESX 4 and EVA 4400 - Configuring Host in Command View

SOLVED
Go to solution
pinkerton
Advisor

ESX 4 and EVA 4400 - Configuring Host in Command View

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of installing two ESX 4.0 Servers and attaching them to a EVA4400 (Firmware 09522000). Each ESX host has two HP 1142SR FC Adapters installed which are connected to two StorageWorks 8/8 Switches. This means that there are four paths between each ESX server and the EVA.

I've now taken a look at the VMware setup instructions in the document "HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array installation guide". It describes the following:

------------------
To configure an EVA4400 on a VMware ESX server:
1. Using HP Command View EVA, configure a host for one ESX server.
2. Verify that the Fibre Channel Adapters (FCAs) are populated in the world wide port name (WWPN)
list. Edit the WWPN, if necessary.
3. Set the connection type to VMware.
4. Add a port to the host defined in 1. Do not add host entries for servers with more than one FCA.
------------------

What I currently don't understand is point 4. What does HP actually mean with "Do not add host entries for servers with more than one FCA"?

Both my ESX servers have two FCAs and I obviously need to add all WWPNs of each server to the corresponding host in Command View if I want to present all paths to the ESX servers.

Do they possibly just mean that I shouldn't add *additional* host entries for the second WWPN if a server has two or more adapters? So that I don't create i.e. one dedicated host for server01 FCA1 and another dedicated host for server01 FCA2?

Thanks
Michael

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ESX 4 and EVA 4400 - Configuring Host in Command View

Ah, I've had to read it 3 times to understand what it means and you are correct:

for example, if you have a host with two(2) FC adapter ports, then:

- create the EVA host entry with the first port WWN
- then add the second port WWN to the host entry you just created
-- you do *not* create an extra host entry for the second port WWN
pinkerton
Advisor

Thanks Uwe. Let's hope they're going over the phrasing in the next revision of the document.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Michael,

best is if you give direct feedback. The mail address is given in chapter 10 of the current document.
pinkerton
Advisor

OK, thanks - I've asked them to review this part during the next update.