1753739 Members
3725 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESX and EVA

taouw
Frequent Advisor

ESX and EVA

can anyone help me to create 2 virtual disks presented in EVA or 2 raw disk, shared between two virtual machines (it is possible or no ?????????).

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise).- Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

It's possible, just make sure your two ESX hosts are in the same zone. This is done all of the time with clusters...
taouw
Frequent Advisor

It's possible, just make sure your two ESX hosts are in the same zone. This is done all of the time with clusters...

I have only 1 ESX server not 2, my problem it is possible to shared 2 virtual disks or raw device or LUN between 2 virtual machines. "each virtual machine will have 2 virtual disk, it is possible ??????? "
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

do you think about a cluster inside a vmware ESX server?

1. You need to create two vdisks on the eva and present them to all HBAs of the ESX server.
2. Then do a rescan on the HBAs.
3. Add a new virtual scsi controller to each VM and set it to "virtual compatibility mode". You need _two_ SCSI HBAs on each VM.
4. Add a new disk and select "mapped SAN LUN". To this on both nodes.

Then you have the same RDMs on both nodes. But you need a cluster manager to share the disks. Parallel access to the disks is possible, but will result in data loss.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
taouw
Frequent Advisor

sorry, but i don't have a cluster, i have only one server ESX with 2 virtual machines, my question it is possible to create two differents virtual disks presented on the EVA, and shared each one to different machine?
notes:
(disk1 and disk2 visible to VM1,
and disk1 and disk2 visible to the other virtual machine VM2, it is possible or not??????????)

thank y.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

yes. That is possible. Anyway you need a VMFS filesystem, where the config files of the VM reside. Then you can present the vdisks to the ESX and then add a disk to each VM. Just select "mapped SAN LUN" when you add a disk to the VM.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick