New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4000 - 2C2D to 2C3D migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Piotr Staszewski
Occasional Advisor

EVA 4000 - 2C2D to 2C3D migration

Hi,
as we are out of disc space, we are thinking about migrating from currently used 2C2D to 2C3D.

I've checked documentation, but still has some questions:
- is it safe to perform such migration online? will it have influence on performance during process? (for how long this lowered performance will last?)
- now we have two identically filled enclosures, and I'm thinking about spreading disc drives into three enclosures after migration - can it be done? can it be done online?
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
1. yes the disk enclosure addition is an online operation
2. yes the disks can be reshuffled via the following:
1. ungroup from the disk group
2. physical reshuffle
the pain is one part of the reality
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

1) It can be done online if you're careful to open only one loop at a time and check in Command View and in the events that the loop is OK before opening the other.

You have to break the loop to add the enclosure to it. Check attached PDF.

2) It can be done but doing it online is not supported. You need to have at least 4 drives per enclosure so you need to purchase 4 additional drives or power off the EVA to move disks around.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Oooops, Ibaltay is right, I forgot to mention that you can ungroup/regroup the disk. Although you'll need space free on the disk group and it will take time.

I meant moving them right away. Problably nothing would happen if you insert the disk back in less than one minute, but it's not a good way of doing things.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> disk back in less than one minute

I don't think it lifts the supportability, but you can also increase the timeout from the storage system properties page.
Piotr Staszewski
Occasional Advisor

than you all for answers