HPE EVA Storage
1753311 Members
6560 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EVA 4400/6400 - Managing controller defaults to particular controller when multiple vdisks creat

shahari85
Occasional Visitor

EVA 4400/6400 - Managing controller defaults to particular controller when multiple vdisks created

I created about 30 vdisks and the system automatically chose managing controller as A , though i'm aware i could manually change it to B in the preferred path selection..My view is every time the we create a vdisk the system chose managing controller as A &B alternatively for every vdisk that we create an we get to define the preferred path.

Also I had replaced a physical disk failure for a particular bay in one of the enclosure's , but seem to get a error messages saying the physical disk has been transitioned to degraded state in the same one for which i had replaced .(mentioning that it has not even been a day since the  physical disk had been replaced)

Any ideas why this would have happened and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). - Hp forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 4400/6400 - Managing controller defaults to particular controller when multiple vdisks creat

As for the managing controller, I have no idea why it's choosing A or B alternatively when you create a vdisk or what the selection is based upon. Is it a problem? Wouldn't you want to make specify this anyway each time you create a vdisk - to split the load between the controllers?

As for the degraded disk - Maybe the status of the disk could tell you more. Or the controller event logs. Or the 'controller configuration dump' - compare this disk and another a non-degraded one - any differences? Or maybe led on the disk.

Firmware/CV updated? Sometimes CV doesn't update for some reason and needs to be restarted to get changes.

What is the Controller firmware.........???

Can you share the Controller Event log and COntroller COnfiguration Dump ?

You can reboot the controller B and check the status if all the vdisks are owning by Controller A.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
shahari85
Occasional Visitor

Hi..

Thanks for your responses .Regarding the failed disk seems like a normal failed disk which had to be replaced and the managing controller sorry i'm unable to share the dump information wouldn't want to reboot my controller to see which vdisks are owned by what controller .This still remains a question mark.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor