HPE EVA Storage

EVA 4400 Adding disks to a disk group + Performance

Kevin Buckley

EVA 4400 Adding disks to a disk group + Performance

HI,

We have just install a new enclosure and need to add 8 new disks to the current disk group. One month ago I added 2 disks and it took about 24 hours. We will be adding the other 6 over a weekend, can it be paused if it is still running on Monday morning? Or is there away to throttle the I/O so users dont see performance issues.
What performance impact does disk levelling
3 REPLIES 3
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Re: EVA 4400 Adding disks to a disk group + Performance

What is the EVA Model being used?

Regards
Sunny
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Leveling should not impact performance, it's done as a low priority process.

This is a generic document about that

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01209515
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

I am sorry.. Did not read the Topic completely. So this is EVA 4400.

Here is the instruction manual for adding the enclosure.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01419085/c01419085.pdf

The leveling has been perfectly explained in the link given by above person.

Here is the most important part:-

Reducing the impacts of leveling

In general, to reduce the impacts of leveling, the customer should always be at the latest version of EVA firmware, set a minimum protection of â singleâ on all disk groups, and insure used physical capacity is at or below 95%. Under these circumstances the impact of leveling is minimal upon the array, except in the case of a multiple disk failure or when multiple drives are removed or added simultaneously from an already existing disk group that has been written to its near full capacity. Note that in this case if there are no logical disks in the existing LDAD there will not be any leveling. Finally, leveling is a background task and is designed to minimize impact to the customerâ s workload.

Regards,
Sunny

P:S- Please rate solutions with points. It keeps us going...