5092 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

EVA 4400 Adding shelves and disk arrangement

lhe
Occasional Visitor

EVA 4400 Adding shelves and disk arrangement

Hi,

I have a EVA 4400 setup with 2 full shelves (24 spindles) and will extend it. I have added 4 new shelves (online) and will be adding 8 new drives in the first expansion step. All drives will be in the same diskgroup.

* Should I rearrange the spindles equal over each shelf or should I just will each shelf with spindles as the storage demand occurs? Will I gain performance benefits by rearranging disks?

Looking forward to hear your experiences.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
M_J_S
Occasional Contributor

Re: EVA 4400 Adding shelves and disk arrangement

If all your existing 24 spindles are assigned to disk groups. Dont start moving them unless you want to loose all your data.

If you are adding shelves and disks. spread the disks across the shelfs. in this case  2 disks in each shelf, using same slots in each shelf.

I am presuming that the disk type, size and speed of the new spindle match that of the existing spindles. 

If your disks were evenly distributed across the shelves, you would be optimising the disk performance but if you have production data on the existing disks you will have a mare trying to remove  and redistribute spindles /data.

performance will only be an issue if you are curently suffering poor performance.

lhe
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your reply.

The SAN is in production with critical production data.

1. I have read you can rearrange an EVA in offline mode? If this is correct I could schedule a maintance window for the SAN and rearrange the disks. Would this be a risk free  option ?

2. I am not too impressed  with the overall performance and I am hoping to gain better perofrmance by adding spindles.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor