3579 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

EVA 4400 Config

Tapemonkey
Occasional Visitor

EVA 4400 Config

Hi There

I've got a question about configuration and performance on our eva 4400. Please see attached diagram on how the SAN connected up to the network.

As we don't have a second switch in the MPX200 we get a warning within eva command view about the second controller.

However I was wondering could this be the reason why we only get though put on one of the NIC's even though I've got windows MPIO enable on the server

I would like to get a higher though put and availability by using both the NIC's at the same time

Cheers,

Brett

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 4400 Config

Hi,

what kind of error are you getting on the second controller?
It's not about FP2 on both controllers?

The EVAs use assymetrical active/active which means that one of the controllers own the LUN/vdisk. If you would use the other nic to access the same vdisk via the other controller, the other controller would just pass the requests over to the owning controller anyway.
Tapemonkey
Occasional Visitor

See below errors

Controller 1

FP2

Operational state: Failed

Connection state: Link to switch failed

Controller 2

FP2

Operational state: Good

Connection state: Connection failed

Is there away of getting better performance out of eva in the current setup.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Why is FP2 on controller 2 in 'good' state? Is there anything connected there?

I suppose the bottleneck is that the MPX200 has 1GbE ports then and only one is used.

Are you achieving 1Gbps?
Do you only have one disk shelf? How many and what type of disks?

How many servers? Are they using the same or different LUNs/vdisks?

If they use different vdisks you could spread them between the controllers (go to each vdisk in CV and check preferred path).

Consider loopback plugs for the ports you aren't using.

If you only have one large vdisk/LUN - would it be better (for performance) to cable both FC ports in one EVA controller?