1752725 Members
5264 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 Disk Installation

anonymous1012
Occasional Contributor

EVA 4400 Disk Installation

Perhaps a silly question, however I have 8 disks I wish to add to our EVA 4400 and there seems to be a lack on documentation.

Can the disks just safely be added into the disk enclosures and added to a disk group via Command View?

Is there anything that needs to be done prior to just adding the disks?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
physical disk addition max in 4 (preferrably 1 disk at a time due to the AL back-end
wait for the disk initialization after the physical plug (approx. 1 minute)

group in 8 to create the completely new RSS of 8 members (default)
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Before you plug in any disk drives you can check the event logs for the last 48 hours to be confident that there are no hidden errors if no 'phone-home' solution has been set up.

Next, I suggest that you put in one disk drive and wait until it shows up in Command View EVA. Sometimes CV is a bit, well, 'slow' to recognize the disk. In that case it helps to refresh or rescan.
After the disk has been properly recognized, go on with the next disk drive.

Why I recommend this way and not just plug in 4 disks at once as some dokuments suggest?

At least in the past CV did not always handle that situation properly and it gave the same name to two different disk drives.

The data was not at risk, because the EVA deals with UUIDs internally, but the presentation from CV was inconsistent:
- on of the disks was missing in some places
- disk / storage calculations were not correct

Since the introduction of the EVA I've found a number of system that had this problem.
anonymous1012
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your replies - very much appreciated.