HPE EVA Storage

EVA 4400 Resize LUN - Need VDS?

UselessUser
Frequent Advisor

EVA 4400 Resize LUN - Need VDS?

Hi,

I have several volumes which have a variety of connected hosts - Windows 2008, Windows 2003 and VMware...

I was wondering what I need to either enlarge the volumes or shrink them??

I have seen Windows 2008 supports shrinking volumes, but it would appear that I need to install VDS (Where do I get this and what is it...) to communicate the changes back to the EVA accordingly... which makes sense... is this correct?

Also do I require this for enlarging a volume on any of the above platforms?... I can understand the need for something to communicate on both the OS and EVA for shrinking, but not on the extending side...
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 4400 Resize LUN - Need VDS?

Hi,

I know nothing about shrinking volumes, but I've never needed any software for expanding volumes on Windows or VMware.

Cheers,

Rob
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

It depends on the OS file system; whether or not the FS can handle having a partition change size. Some can't, very few, like Win2008, can handle a partition shrinking.

For Windows, use the "diskpart" utility.
To extend: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590
To shrink, reverse the process. Use diskpart "shrink" BEFORE you have EVA reduce vdisk size.

Not sure about VMware, but I have seen something about the command
vmkfstools -X

---
Lastly, don't forget to rate the usefulness/quality of responses to (all of) your question(s). Currently, that's 70 responses....

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

"vmkfstools -X" is for expanding a virtual disk (.vmdk) file, but the shrink function was removed some time ago.

A VMFS filesystem cannot be shrunk.

There are also shrink-limits with NTFS. Last time I checked, it did put a meta-data mark at the beginning of the expanded size which could not be removed. So you could expand from 10GB to 20GB, and possible back to 21GB, but not to 20GB or below, even if there was enough 'free space' on the disk.
UselessUser
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies...

I have done an expansion of a volume and this seemed to work well with Windows Server 2008 and 2003...

I guess the question is more around the shrinking... if I shrink an NTFS volume on Windows Server 2008 (And it allows me to do it..)...

Once this is done can I just reduce the size in the EVA?? Or is this where the VDS does some stuff??
Bailifei
Occasional Visitor

we used partition manager to shrink D drive and enlarge C drive in windows server 2008.

it can solve many problems that windows disk management can not, such as resize, move, and copy partitions.

u might also try it.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

On Windows 2008, you would:

1. run a defragmenter on the drive
  2. use "diskpart" (or Disk Management?) to shrink the drive

Based on the resulting size of the drive, use EVA to shrink vdisk. I have not seen VDS involved with size change of a drive.

As mentioned elsewhere, Windows 2003 and VMware do not shrink. Allocate storage conservatively. It is always much easier (and safer) to expand a volume and file system. The EVA does not check the file system size when you shrink a vdisk.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo