4487 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400: controller 2 never gets managing controller of a LUN

sam bell
Regular Advisor

EVA 4400: controller 2 never gets managing controller of a LUN

Hi,

even after creating a new vDisk with Preferred path/mode set to "Path B" the managing controller of the LUN always is controller 1 and not controller 2.

When changing the preferred path/mode for existing LUNs that are presented to VMware vSphere 4 from i.e. Path A (Controller 1) to Path B (Controller 2), the managing controller changes for some seconds but will then automatically revert to controller 1. This also happens when using fixed paths to Controller 2 in vSphere (where from my understanding the EVA should actually transition the LUN to the controller that is serving the most I/O).

Any ideas why it's not possible to get LUNs managed by controller 2? Firmware of the EVA 4400 is 09522000.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Please read this:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=4AA1-2185ENW.pdf

Section:

ESX multi-pathing configuration

sam bell
Regular Advisor

Thanks,

however, I've already read this document before and it actually states that I indeed should be able to change the controller ownership of a LUN by changing the preferred path mode. It also states that when using MRU or Round Robin in vSphere I actually should see a change to the new optimized path after changing the path mode on the EVA.

However, I'm not even able to change the path mode to controller 2 - even after setting path mode B, the managing controller means for the given LUN remains controller 1 or will revert back to 1 after seconds.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have you tried it with Path-A/B failover/failback?

That is the preferred setting when you use the RR path policy on ESX 4.
sam bell
Regular Advisor

Yes, but this doesn't change anything. After setting the path policy to path B-failover/failback, Command View shows that controller 2 is the managing controller. However, when doing a storage rescan in vSphere the paths remain the same (policy set to Round Robin which is ALUA aware and therefore should move to the optimized paths). After a minute or so, Command View again shows controller 1 as managing controller.

As written above, this also happens when creating new vDisks from Scratch - even when setting them to controller 2, controller 1 is shown as managing controller.

Seems to be an issue with the EVA and not with VMware I think.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You don't need to do a storage rescan on ESX - the servers should notice the change within some minutes.
sam bell
Regular Advisor

Anyway, it doesn't work. The managing controller for the given LUN reverts back to controller 1 in less than a minute.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That sounds strange. Maybe there is something wrong with Controller 2.
Cache battery? Anything in the controller logs?
sam bell
Regular Advisor

At least no errors. But controller 1 is reporting a significant amount of these messages:

http://www.abload.de/img/4400cachee4es.jpg

(An HSV300 controller has changed Battery Cache policy
View corrective actionsCorrective action code: 00)

I don't know whether this is normal and reporting controller controller 1 and not controller 2.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is not OK. Maybe it is this error:

c01941332 - ADVISORY: HP StorageWorks 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array can report false battery Hold Up Time (HUT) event: 0x0E13CA19

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01941332