5770 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 info request

meekrob
Super Advisor

EVA 4400 info request

Hi All,
We are in the process of deploying a SAN solution with an hpux serviceguard cluster on 2 rx6600 integrity servers. However, after power and fiber cabling and deploying the hp P6000 command view on a windows management server and after powering on the entire rack now when accessing the eva command view no san components can be detected even after selecting the "discover" button. Am i missing something here? Is it mandatory to configure zoning on the san switches? Even if all servers need to be on the same default zone?

Thanks for your precious help
19 REPLIES 19
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello, 

try connecting to the WOCP or CV on the management module in the EVA4400. That way you go around any SAN settings that might be required. It is a good idea to have the management module set up anyway, in case of troubleshooting.

Check for error leds on the front/back of the EVA.

It is not best practices to have everything in the same zone.

It is a good idea to at least have only one initiator in one zone, Brocade recommend one initiator and one target.

You may have to configure zoning, do you have SAN switches? Which type?

On brocade you can type 'defzone --show' to check default zoning settings, 'cfgshow' for actual zoning config and 'switchshow' to check what is enabled.

meekrob
Super Advisor

Hello,

thanks for your precious help.

I will try to connect directly to the management module on the EVA .

BTW no error LEDs on the front/back of the EVA.

The SAN switches i have are the HP Storageworks 8GB SAN switches on which i did not configure zoning and i just connect host servers / EVA controllers and the management server to both of them for redundancy.

Regards

meekrob
Super Advisor

Hi again,

just to mention that i can access the storage system from the management module. However, when accessing the command view from the management server, no storage systems can be detected.

Any suggesion please?

Thanks in advance

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK, that's good news :)

• SAN switch: is the CV server logged in to the port / fabric?
  • SAN switch: check if zoning is enabled, consider doing that anyway.
  • Server: With the assistance of the diagnostic tool for the HBA you might be able to find out more. Like do you have link and things like that. Is the CV server connected to both fabrics (it should be). Examples of tools: Qlogic SANSurfer, Brocade BCU and Emulex HBanywhere.
  • Server: Check out the tool called 'cvutils'. It is installed where CV is installed on your server. With this you can check if the server sees any devices.

Which version of CV is installed on the EVA/management module and which is on the server?

It should be the same / latest.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Assuming your EVA has XCS 10001000 you need minimum command view version 9.4, better 10.0.

What are the version you currently have?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
meekrob
Super Advisor

Hello,

it is the HP P6000 Command View Smart Start version 10.0 (Ref: T5494-10030)  that came in the EVA box and which is the same on the management module.

Regards

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

hi

first of all you need to see if the windows server sees LUN 0 ( eva controller)

you can see this with the HBA utility onecommand for Emules and sansurfure

for Qlogic if you do see the eva controler try one of these solutions.

Command View is installed with below HBA Adapter attributes:

• Model: QMH2462 Qlogic
  • Driver: Version 9.1.9.25
  • Option ROM Version : 2.15
  • Windows Server 2003 SP2

Issue could be with Enterprise Virtual Array with code XCS 09534000 and CV EVA 9.3 , wherin the cvutil paths output sees no path but vdisks are presented on CV server and can be used.

In such situations please follow the below steps:

1. Kindly verify all zone settings and confirm LUN0 is visible from SAN surfer, then un-zone all EVA host ports and zone only with master controller FP1 and one HBA port.
  2. Reboot master controller.
  3. Finally downgrade HBA driver to 9.1.8.28 

or this

When installing HP Storage Works Command View EVA on a Windows 2003 management server utilizing the Emulex 8Gb adapters, HP Command View EVA is sometimes unable to discover and manage the EVA.

The following Emulex 8 Gb adapters are affected:

• 81E AJ762A PCI-e 2.0 8 Gb.
  • 82E AJ763A PCI-e 2.0 8 Gb Dual Port.

To fix this

If the management server is running Microsoft Windows 2003 and has Emulex 8 Gb/s HBA's installed, HP Command View EVA  might not display any arrays. To resolve this issue, you must install a Microsoft hot fix. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945119

regards

Zohar

Rajiv
HPE Pro

@meekrob wrote:
Hi All,
We are in the process of deploying a SAN solution with an hpux serviceguard cluster on 2 rx6600 integrity servers. However, after power and fiber cabling and deploying the hp P6000 command view on a windows management server and after powering on the entire rack now when accessing the eva command view no san components can be detected even after selecting the "discover" button. Am i missing something here? Is it mandatory to configure zoning on the san switches? Even if all servers need to be on the same default zone?

Thanks for your precious help

As per the above message I am assuming that the EVA is only powered on and not Configured. Have we entered the WWN through the WOCP ? If not then the EVA would not have any Fabric WWNs alloted to their ports and would not login to the SAN switch. You could confirm this by logging into SAN Switch and entering nshow or switchshow commands. If EVA is successfully logged into SAN Switch then next check if the Storage Management Server is logged into SAN switch as well.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

meekrob
Super Advisor

Hi Again,

the fact is and after checking is that our supplier delivered us the EVA with the HP P6000 Command View media CDs and the license for the old version Command View as you can see attached for the license issue.

Does it have anything to do with this problem or as he is saying that P6000 is backward compatible with the old Command View? You know that Sales people are just good in talking and once they sold you the equipment you can not reach them anymore.

Note that the attached screenshot is taken from the management module and not from the management server.

Thanks in advance