108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 - initial setup, problem controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Beifuss
Advisor

EVA 4400 - initial setup, problem controllers

My company recently got an EVA 4400 and I'm doing the initial setup. I've connected via WOCP and am having a terrible time figuring out what to do next. My System and both Controllers (1 & 2) are showing as 'unknown'. When I check the status of the controllers, they show as failed. I thought maybe the XCS and management module firmware version were out of synch, but I can't update the management module due to errors ("command execution failed. error: cannot access storage system. communications error") and I can't even determine the XCS version (blank fields). I can't set the WWN either, due to the same communications error.

Is this something I need to involve HP on (both controllers are defective out of the box?) or have I missed something? HP has already replaced the management module as the webserver component was crashing after 10 seconds (although the network connection wasn't lost).

Muchly appreciated,
Greg
15 REPLIES 15
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

You probably got an EVA with mixed firmware versions. Check this thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1307730

Management module firmware is old, version 0001.0000, and the controllers probably have XCS 09004000 or 09006000.

Update it to the latest 0001.1000

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=CommandViewEVA

Select CommandView v8.1 ABM ZIP format (T5494-10006.zip)

Also, you're not trapped by this, install Command View 8.02 on a server and initialize the EVA from there.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It looks like the controller firmware (XCS) version and the management module (WOCP) version do not match - the internal communications protocol has been changed last year in October.

Maybe somebody as a compatibility table with the XCS revision and the WOCP revisions.

Unfortunately, the documented revision numbers and what the module reports are different (I have missed the chance to build such a table, but would like to see a complete one -
vcespon, do you have one?).
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

0001.0000 = 1.00.00.080211
0001.0020 = 1.00.00.080916
0001.1000 = ????

Someone that has the latest firmware can check?
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

Management firmware: mmp-0001.1000-000117R =
XCS version: 09006000
XCS build: CR1276lep
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Greg,

is it possible, you have not yet connected the front end ports on the EVA controllers to a switch?

Make sure there is a link and try again.

Regards,
Bernhard
Greg Beifuss
Advisor

"Also, you're not trapped by this, install Command View 8.02 on a server and initialize the EVA from there."

Can I get some info on this? I assume that I need to take a server and physically connect it to the SAN before installing CV for management. That's going to be an issue for us because it's our first SAN component & we were going to hook up some blades to it - right now I have no local storage on Blades to get started, nor do I have any HBA for a physical server connection to the SAN.

I still see us being stuck but I'm hopeful for suggestions to get me over this EVA hump.

Thanks!
Greg
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Greg, you don't need a server. anything with a FC HBA that you can install Command View onto will get it initialised, I used an old PC to try out CV 8 and it connected to my EVA 5k just fine.

Again, I have no HBA on hand.
Anyone know if HP'll fix this for me if I open a ticket? Or is this my problem now?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Have you updated the management module firmware to 0001.1000?

Currently you have 0001.0000 firmware, and if you do not have a Windows server with local disks and an HBA to install Command View on it, how did you plan to configure anything on that EVA?

You NEED Command View, either CV 8.1 on the management module or CV 8.02 on a Windows server.