New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 write performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pilutak

EVA 4400 write performance

Hi
Hi
I'd like to know if 170~200 MB/s write poor good or fast on EVA 4400 with Vraid1 on 32x15k disks.
I tested the speed with

dd if=largefile of=/LUN1/largefile conv=sync bs=1M

thanks
Pilutak
6 REPLIES 6
Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro
Solution

HI,

Kindly chk the below link:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1291886496649+28353475&threadId=1456026

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Prakash Singh
Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good link there! Generally you don't want to use dd to test performance. A lot of people use iometer instead.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Sequential read/write performance from a single server is not a good indicator. As you create vdisks and present them to servers, they start reading and writting hundreds of files per second. The limit is usually the number of I/Os per second (which is porportinal to the number of disks).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01671044
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Hi!
Generally, EVA is OLTP storage, so it's not a good idea to measure its performance with dd which does only single write or read stream. As for 170-200 Mb/s - well... It's nod bad for this configuration, but i recommend you to upgrade your eva to the latest fw. I had a performance issue with this storage and it solved (well... partially :) ) with fw upgrade. Of course i cannot guarantee that it will work - in my case i upgraded very old (i think one of the first fw versions) fw.

Regards,
Philipp.
Pilutak

Thanks for all replies

The documents were very helpful.

Mean while, i have been doing some testing on IO with bonnie++. but since the server is for OLTP, i am going to test it with Oracle ORION and/or sysbench for mysql.

BR
Pilutak
Pilutak

Thanks for all replies.