1748196 Members
2890 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EVA 5000 Upgrade Issue #2

mpapet
Advisor

EVA 5000 Upgrade Issue #2

We are attempting to change from 36GB disks to 142GB disks in an EVA 5000.  When changing out the disks, I was assuming that  replacing one disk at a time, on one shelf, then doing the next shelf in the controller's pair.  As I read through best practices documentation about RSS, I am having second thoughts about replacing one shelf at a time.

Is it wiser for me to alternate shelfs when adding disks to maximize redundancy?  For example, disk #1 of shelf #1 has been replaced.  I am thinking it may be wise to replace disk #1 shelf #2, wait for the SAN to level, then replace disk #2 shelf #1 and so on...

Any advice is welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Unless you manually map out your RSS ID's and Index's... you'll have no way of knowing if you are pulling the appropriate drive.

The best thing for you to do is ...

1. Check to see how many free bays there are in the EVA Configuration.  How many disks do you have in the disk group in question?  How many disks total in the EVA? How many shelves total?

2. If you have enough disk bays, add a set of 4 or 8 146GB disks to the group.  If your Disk protection level is single, you will need at least 2 disks and enough free space in the disk group.  If you are at double, you will need to insert 4 disks.  If you don;t you will end up with less available disk space since the reservation is now based on 146GB vs. 36GB.

3. After grouping some 146GB disks... ungroup some 36GB disks.  Once complete, remove from the EVA and add in additional 146GB DIsks.

4. Rinse - Repeat until finished.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
mpapet
Advisor

Steven,

Thanks for your help.

No free bays. 

84 disks total, 26 in each controller.

It sounds like I need to ungroup one disk at a time and replace them that way.

The leveling process finished.  But, "Disk drive failure protection" should be single.  It now reads None (Requested level not available)

mpapet
Advisor

A little googling suggests the disk protection level is none because it the eva doesn't have enough free space to reserve 2x the largest size disk.

I think I need to shrink the disks presented to get plenty of disk space (about 300GB)  available on the SAN so it has space to rebuild.  Let me know if I'm on the right track here.

yes you are on right track............can you please share the EVA Config/SSSU log log so that I can have a look?

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I would NOT start to decrease the size of any disks.  Just set the protection level to "none" for now, replace 2 more disks.. then you can set it back to single.

With only 1 disk swapped you will not have enough space to do anything and you run at a greater risk.  With 2 disks swapped, you may have enough disk space for protection, but you'll probably be fully/mostly allocated... another condition not great to be in.  Once the 3rd disk is in and the group has leveled, you should have enough free space to go back to single protection.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)