HPE EVA Storage

EVA 6000 - Disk Group Leveling Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Langer
Advisor

EVA 6000 - Disk Group Leveling Question

We have an EVA 6000 with several disk groups. our largest is made up of 300GB 10k FC drives and has 42 spindles. We just bought 8 more disks to add to that grp. I have started adding them to the disk grp one at a time and letting it level off before adding another.

The issue is that it takes up to 4 or 5 days to level, it will take me weeks to get all the drives in this way. Can/should I add them all at once or will I kill my performance or risk impacting systems if I do that. Should I just be more patient? thanks in advance! -Scott
2 REPLIES 2
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA 6000 - Disk Group Leveling Question

You should add them to the disk group all at the same time. You don't need to wait for the leveling to finish.

In fact is contraproducent, you're forcing the EVA to redistribute the data on 42 disks on 43 disks, then on 44 disks, then on 45 disks.. Too much data movement for nothing.
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

Re: EVA 6000 - Disk Group Leveling Question

and, besides the unneccessary data movement: when you add the 8 disks in 1 step you give the EVA better chances to distribute the RSS stuff properly across all shelves, which (if you have 8 shelves) enables the system to even survive a full enclosure failure as longs as you don't have two disks of one RSS set on the same enclosure.
In older CV versions that was shown for the end user, in recent CVs you need either ask HP to check, or use scan/debug information and check yourself in a manual way...