HPE EVA Storage
1752571 Members
4620 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8100 Single Controller Firmware Upgrade HSV210-B from XCS 6.220 to 6.250

SOLVED
Go to solution
SteelCheck
Occasional Collector

EVA 8100 Single Controller Firmware Upgrade HSV210-B from XCS 6.220 to 6.250

Hello community,

I've a spare controller HSV210-B from an EVA 8100, with a XCS level of 6.220 and we want to upgrade it to 6.250 to test it before doing it in the production EVA.

We've set up a small lab with CV10, but we only have one controller, and it's not being seen by CV, even though on the Windows Device Manager I can see that it reaches the eva as it appears HP HSV210 SCSI Array Device.

Anyone knows a way to upgrade this controller? Even bypassing CV if it's possible? Or is it mandatory to have 2 controllers in order that CV can see the system?

Thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVA 8100 Single Controller Firmware Upgrade HSV210-B from XCS 6.220 to 6.250

Hi, you might get away with running one controller but I think you'll need to initialise it first,so you'll need a disk shelf with eight disks.

Solution

You need to have an initialized system. A single controller without disks is not an EVA! So you cannot upgrade.

BTW, I did this upgrade many times without any issues on hard- or software side.

What do you want to test, if we assume you can upgrade this single controller without disks???

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SteelCheck
Occasional Collector

Thank you for your quick help! I understand I need the disks then to  initialize the system.

I'm having various strange issues with the batteries, it all started with a failing battery, I swapped for a new one and it charged it for a few hours until it failed again. Then I checked the first battery that was failing (I checked first that there was not corrosion anywhere) in the spare controller I've and it worked well.

Anyway, I ordered two new batteries from HP because I read that there might be some problems just changing one, so I put this two new batteries on the controller and the led of the battery just went straight away to error, it even didn't try to charge it, I checked the event logs on CV and it recognized the batteries, but just put them in error straight away, stating that they need to be changed, I even restarted the controller and nothing happened. THen, I put back the only battery that was working fine, and it failed after 30 min. of charge, so I don't have any battery now on this controller.

So my guess is that is something about firmware related, and I want to be sure this is the cause of the failing batteries before doing it on the production system.

So as I understand by your post there is not any risks updating firmware from 6.220 to 6.250?

PD: also I've noticed that the connector of this new batteries is slightly different from the old ones, I've attached some pics.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIK version 6250 will fix some battery related issues.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

SteelCheck
Occasional Collector

Sorry just one more question as I see you've performed various updates, I'm reading the manual to upgrade the firmware, and it states that all components (including batteries) must be ok before upgrading, so, if the battery fault is caused by the firmware I think I'll not be able to have the batteries working properly before doing the upgrade?

Have you performed an upgrade with failing batteries? Will it impact on the firmware upgrade if I don't have the batteries on one controller?

As well, is it mandatory to upgrade the disks firmware?

Thank you very much for your help

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Command View will check the hardware before doing the update, but usually you can continue "at your own risk".

You have 1 failed, 1 working battery in the controller?

I also had problems with batteries, but no longer with 6250.

Remember, a failed battery will stay failed for ever, no matter if you meanwhile update the firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

SteelCheck
Occasional Collector

Right now there are two failing batteries on the controller, I guess I'll have to update at my own risk... I don't like much the idea but I can't see any other option.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Whiel "code load" the system will check health at page 2, in step 3 you will see the result.

If you can go to page 4, you can continue.

You can test this now.

The code load will be at page 5 - so cancel at page 4 if you don't want to upgrade now.

Remember, a controller with dead batteries will NOT present any LUN - so all your LUNs are currently owned by the other controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

SteelCheck
Occasional Collector

Thanks a million, I will proceed on the following weeks and I'll post the results here.