HPE EVA Storage

EVA 8100 Upgrade - CA dedicated or switched replication?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle Weir
Advisor

EVA 8100 Upgrade - CA dedicated or switched replication?

I currently replicated data between two EVA 6100's.
I am upgrading them both to 8100's now from what I've heard I can take a FC port and connect the two SAN's directly together (I have dark fiber between the two sites) We are replicating 30Tb now and will be replicating around 60 or so in a year or two. We are running 4gb FC, and we already and will continue to have a ISL between the two sites. There won't be many big replications as it is just changes so I'm leaning towards a non dedicated replication port now. But the question is whether it is a big performance boost for the SAN to have it dedicated or is it that it just reduces the data that needs to flow via the cisco fabric switches.
So are there any pros/cons to either method?
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 8100 Upgrade - CA dedicated or switched replication?

As far as I can tell, you can dedicate an EVA host port for replication traffic, but it must still be connected to a Fabric Switch because the other arrays is detected by querying the switch's name server.
Kyle Weir
Advisor

I was informed that they would "see" each other directly, but heck I'm not a guru at this. But if they have to go through the switch then that's how it'll have to be. The other question then is, how to deal with ISL's and can I do trunking, etc..
Attached is a jpg of what I am thinking, ideally the ISL's would be trunked for each set of switches. I'm assuming this would allow for any single break in a connection to keep it running. This is what I am expecting it to look like, at the moment I only have 2 switches per site, redundently.
Bert Zefat
Advisor
Solution

Drawing looks good to me. You can zone some (a) port from one EVA to just see the other EVA on some (a) port. This will be your CA_zone. For CA it is nice to have a seperate CA zone. But everything in the EVA comes with a compromise. You will now lose 1 (one)(or more) host(s) port.
Kyle Weir
Advisor

So you can do dedicated CA ports? Doesn't really matter, at the moment we are going to maintain only those two fiber connections. To add more we need to get more single mode FC gbics, which we'll add later.

Anyone have any input on Cisco MDS 9124 firmware recommendations, I'm currently running 3.32 I know 4.1 is out. Should I upgrade to it? is it worth it?