HPE EVA Storage
1748076 Members
5580 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8100 , bad disk replaced .. leveling .. then what?

SOLVED
Go to solution
kuyakuya

EVA 8100 , bad disk replaced .. leveling .. then what?

Hi Friends,

one of the disk in EVA 8100 is failed. HP engineer replaced the disk while the Command View is still showing status "Leveling.." , is it OK?
Right now , we still waiting the leveling process to complete

If the leveling process complete , what action should i do ? on OS side and EVA side ? Please enlight me

I'm using Redhat Enterprise. The VG is in read-only state because of the I/O errors.

Regards
Andri
4 REPLIES 4
McCready
Valued Contributor
Solution

Replacing the disk while leveling is not an issue; I would only worry about touching the array while it is still "reconstructing" the data (before leveling starts) as you run a risk of pulling out the wrong disk. Of course, if you did not have enough space left to reconstruct the data, you have no choice but to remove the disks.

At this point, while leveling, your EVA is operational and you should return to normal operations. I've seen errors before on a host after a EVA disk failure that did not cause data lost (which should not happen in my opinion) but now you may do whatever your O/S requires to clear the I/O error. Of course, if you feel something is really still a problem, I would have HP examine the controller logs to be on the safe side (I do that as a matter of course after every EVA disk failure).
check out evamgt.wetpaint.com and evamgt google group
kuyakuya

thanks mcCready for the quick and clear response
i get your point

one question,
on OS level , if i execute command 'pvdisplay' is still showing error on some disk. is it because Linux is still in readonly mode?

and.. do you know how to clear the I/O error on Linux ? to make the system back to normal again
i'm thinking about mount command..but i'm not sure.

thanks
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Just to confirm the earlier answer. Leveling is a normal function of the EVA. It is a background process and can pretty much be ignored from the server level.

Just a warning, It can take a long time depending on how much space is available and on how busy the storage is.

Dave.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Replacing disks normally never creates an issue - replace the disk, check firmware, group it, done.

Exception: disk is part of vraid0!

In that case you need to restore your data from backup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!