1751858 Members
5409 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8400 disk enclosures

Matt_A
Occasional Contributor

EVA 8400 disk enclosures

Can anyone help clarify why the disk enclosures on an 8400 display in order in CV(top to bottom) like an 8100, but if you go to the array itself, the enclosures are not numbered the same way?
8 REPLIES 8
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Matt,

During the first powerup boot of EVA it randomly picks the numbers and assign the the shelf ID number first-come-first-serve basis. It really doesnt matter in daily operation to have the numbering done randomly but just be careful when you have to replace the drive in particular shelf it may confuse new users.

If someone prefers to have the numbering done in sequence, during the first boot of EVA, shelves should be turned on one by one to assign the sequential numnbering.

IMHO, you shouldn't be worried about it and let it run as it is.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

additional to what Amardeep already said: The ID is stored in an NVRAM and will only change, if a shelf, that alread got an ID, is placed into an EVA where another shelf has the same ID. In every other case the ID will not change.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Matt_A
Occasional Contributor

I agree from a daily operational standpoint that it doesnt really matter. And understand why HP ended up doing it this way, but if you have a datacenter with long rows of racks, it isnt always convenient to walk around to the back of the cabinet. It would also be helpful if they changed CV to allow you to match the logical view to the physical view of the EVA. Or have the shelf number displayed on the front as well. Some of our after hours support folks could make a mistake in assuming the view in CV is matches the physical view and mistakenly pull the wrong drive. (And yes I know the drive in question can be lit up, but people always dont do what they are supposed to.. right ;-)

Thanks for the response. I will start hammering on the CV engineers now.

Just my .02.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

As stated on another thread some time ago, the shelf ID number can be manually set BEFORE initializing the EVA.
An EVA8000 is usually installed by an HP engineer, he should be able to find how.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello vcespon,

that's true for a 8000 and 8100, but not for a 8400. There is no CAN and EAB bus anymore for EVA4400, 6400 and 8400. FC and SES is used to number the shelfs.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

An there's a command on the I/O module CLI to set the shelf number manually.

And that's how far I can read before someone hits me on the head here, because it's not public information.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Ahhh, okay. :) Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I can agree, the enclosure ID can be manually set. Ask your field engineer next time ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!